Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always change the oil in my vehicle, so it should pretty much the same. Well first I use a typical "P" shape filter wrench to remove the filter. After frustration numerous attempt, there was just no room to crank the thing. So went and bought one that fits on the end of the filter and that uses a 3/8 drive. The problem is the filter on the bike is now, some what deformed :chair: and the "filter wrench" doesn't get a grip so it spins. Any idea to remove the filter :hiding: .

:spank: Mike

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Confirm that you got the correct filter wrench my making sure its a tight fit on the replacement filter. If it's sloppy on the replacement then you didn't get the correct wrench (if it's the HD part then ignore my last comment ;) )

Try tapping the wrench onto the filter to get it to bite into what's left of the filter. If that doesn't work add a layer of tape around the end of the filter to give the wrench more surface area to bite.

As a last ditch you can loosen the radiator to get more leverage with your old wrench.

·
4,638 Posts
Michael H said:
I have always change the oil in my vehicle, so it should pretty much the same. Well first I use a typical "P" shape filter wrench to remove the filter. After frustration numerous attempt, there was just no room to crank the thing. So went and bought one that fits on the end of the filter and that uses a 3/8 drive. The problem is the filter on the bike is now, some what deformed :chair: and the "filter wrench" doesn't get a grip so it spins. Any idea to remove the filter :hiding: .

:spank: Mike
Mike,
If you have rounded the filter you have no other choice but to take a short Phillips head screwdriver and tap it through the shell of the filter. tap easy it will puncture the shell with a few taps. then turn slowly you should have no problems......Remember when you put the new filter on HAND TIGHTEN ONLY...The filter is so small that you can grip it vary easy to tighen....

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you will remove the two bolts at the bottom of the radiator, you will have more room! Did this on my first oil change.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs guys,

Sanity check....I know the old rule of "Lefty Loosy and Righty Tighty". SO by this I should be cranking it towards the back tires...RIGHT!!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

Mission accomplished!!!! I had more trouble with this then R & R'ng the muffler. The HD tech must have put a death grip on it.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
What he said.
Sears has a strap wrench set with three different size strap wrenches that work great on all kinds of things. I think it was about $19. I bought them primarily for adjusting the rear shocks (Progressive 440's) but they're handy for oil filters and lots of other things.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
An old tech tip is to take sandpaper, and fold it over itself with the grit facing outward. Wrap that around the filter, and where the ends meet, for ease of holding the tape, apply a small piece of masking tape. You'd be suprised that slightly oversized filter wrenches where the drive for the ratchet or extension fits into bites with ease onto the filter and the innards of the oil filter tool. This also works if oil might have gotten onto the filter housing, so there is no need to wipe completely clean the housing. The sandpaper won't allow slippage to occur.

Another oldie is when loosening philips screws, to put a small dab of valve grinding compound on the tip of the screwdriver if you suspect that the philips screw is going to be a bear to remove. The screwdriver tip bites into the compound and the into the slots on the screwhead and won't allow the drive to skip. This trick will work with most screw heads.

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
Guys look, I have had a good laff tonite. Thank You. Don't get me wrong. The first time I changed one, I had the same problem. H*ll, I did,nt even know what size the drain plug was or where it was at even. The only Metric tools I had were a 10mm(Batts) and a 12 mm (tires). Let me help you out for the future. Get a 17mm closed end wrench, for the drain plug. If the bike is hot, "Move your hand when that plug comes out" or it will get ya! Keep a rag close at hand if it does. Wipe it off fast or it will burn ya. Sandpaper and screwdrivers work. But here is the scoop. H-D sells a filter remover(End Remover) I use everyday. Less than $20. You can buy the same thing at Discount Auto, Auto-Zone, ETC. The one to use on a rounded filter or one that is messed up or round, can also be purchased at the same two places(Dealer or After). It is hard to explain how it looks, but it has a 3/8 dive for a ratchet, and has two cupped ends that sink into filter. I can have a part number for ya, if you are interested. Later SKI

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
SKIROD said:
But here is the scoop. H-D sells a filter remover(End Remover) I use everyday. Less than $20. You can buy the same thing at Discount Auto, Auto-Zone, ETC.
Ski, the filter wrench I picked up for the v-rod oil filter from Checkers is a tad to big. The HD oil filter wrench is made to fit OEM filters. I had to use the sandpaper to fill in the area so the wrench would bite. I can't see spending 20.00 on a tool from HD (thats mainland cost, and when the dealers in Hawaii add their 35% to that, your talking about a wrench for 35 or 40.00) for one that cost from somewhere else for 3.00. Especially so when you are throwing away what you are removing.

Its a different story if you are doing head work, or line boring to have the right too for the job, but in the case of a filter wrench, IMHO HD can keep their 20.00 filter wrench, 35 or 40.00 from the $tealers in Hawaii!!!

yea, its only a few bucks, but sometimes the system just ain't right....like making a filter thats undersized by an 1/16 of an inch or so and charging for the tool out the kazoo. BTW, HD was kind enough also NOT to provide the tool to adjust rear shocks either.

Not knocking you Ski, but the MoCo has for too many years been sticking the small things on their customers, so I see this like a mini-revolt from their program.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought mine at Wal-Mart for 2.96, type J. It fits perfectly. This is what I used to installed the filter after the excursion.

Mike

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Michael H said:
I bought mine at Wal-Mart for 2.96, type J. It fits perfectly. This is what I used to installed the filter after the excursion.

Mike
Hmmm, that tells me my "fist" measurement system really sucks!! If ya hold it up to your fist, about there, and then go look.....I am sure you get the drift. Good thing I have plenty of sandpaper!!! :hyper: :chair: :hitfan:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Rich,

I thought the same when I was at the parts store looking but since I had the new filter with me I was able to try every one. It turns out that there is a filter wrench that's ALMOST the same size and that's the one I ALMOST bought figuring for manufacturing slop but then I found the exact fit.

The correct size is 76/14

It's kind of like where SAE and Metric sizes cross, they are close but not exactly the same size ;)

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
I did the same thing as Michael H. I bought mine at Wal Mart right after I got the bike. Type J - $2.96 plus tax. It's a nylon socket with a metal insert for the 3/8 in drive. If you go to the auto auto parts store, you're looking for a 76MM 14 flute cap style wrench as MJW930 pointed out. My local O'Reilly store had an all aluminum wrench for under $10.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Danno said:
I did the same thing as Michael H. I bought mine at Wal Mart right after I got the bike. Type J - $2.96 plus tax. It's a nylon socket with a metal insert for the 3/8 in drive. If you go to the auto auto parts store, you're looking for a 76MM 14 flute cap style wrench as MJW930 pointed out. My local O'Reilly store had an all aluminum wrench for under $10.
Had the same problem two days ago. After using several auto type wrenches and cussing for half an hour, I borrowed the correct cap wrench from a H-D tech who lives a few blocks away to get the filter off. You need the right tool for the job theory rings true here.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
mjw930 said:
Rich,

I thought the same when I was at the parts store looking but since I had the new filter with me I was able to try every one. It turns out that there is a filter wrench that's ALMOST the same size and that's the one I ALMOST bought figuring for manufacturing slop but then I found the exact fit.

The correct size is 76/14

It's kind of like where SAE and Metric sizes cross, they are close but not exactly the same size ;)
Mjw, a better comparrision is is when she sorta wants to do it, but maybe not...

After finding out about the AMSOIL analysis, I think frequent changes are going to be far in between, so the extra 3 or 4 minutes of frustration is not too bad.

The info everyone posted after my words will help those that have not crossed the bridge for the tool for the filter. And that is why this board is so good.

Thanks for straightening my eyes out!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.