Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, I installed a Fuel Moto Micro Tuner and K&N filter on my '16 Muscle. I put the bike back together and went for a ride. I was out for maybe 45 minutes to an hour and stopped at a red light. My check engine light flashed on really quick and turned back off. I thought "oh no". It then flashed back on and when I looked down, smoke starts rolling out from behind the radiator (oil hitting the exhaust). I quickly shut it down and got off of the road. Upon being stopped, I inspected the bike and oil is literally splashed up the entire left side of the bike. I call a buddy, we load it into his truck and take it home. I pull into my garage, remove the airbox cover, airbox, etc.. Come to find out, oil was blowing out of the front breather tube (brass bullet-type piece). I decide to test the way it seats into the engine and you can hear and feel it "snap", but it is easily removable. It doesn't take much force to pull it out. I suppose I should get a new o-ring for the tube? It's a poor design if you ask me. It's also odd that I rode for damn near an hour before the thing decided to start blowing oil everywhere. Thoughts?

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upon getting home, I searched the internet and had read that it is a fairly common occurrence. Ridiculous! The bike has 1,300 miles on it and now I essentially have to have a friend follow me around with a chase truck when I ride, in fear of spewing oil everywhere. I never had this problem with my '06 VRSCE. I hope I can come across a fix so I don't have anxiety every time I go for a spin.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Not really an issue other then possibly install methods. Make sure you have a good o-ring, viton preferred and install the bullet into the head first, all the way to the bottom of the hole, then slip in the lower box breather hose onto it. My bullet requires a fair bit of wiggle /pull to remove it from the head if the breather box bottom is removed. The breather hose on the box bottom by it's shape actually traps the bullet on the tapered upper part of this brass piece. This O-ring can be matched up at any decent hydraulic shop and the one I got is a hair snugger then the OEM one in the hole.
Ron

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really an issue other then possibly install methods. Make sure you have a good o-ring, viton preferred and install the bullet into the head first, all the way to the bottom of the hole, then slip in the lower box breather hose onto it. My bullet requires a fair bit of wiggle /pull to remove it from the head if the breather box bottom is removed. The breather hose on the box bottom by it's shape actually traps the bullet on the tapered upper part of this brass piece. This O-ring can be matched up at any decent hydraulic shop and the one I got is a hair snugger then the OEM one in the hole.
Ron
Good to hear. Thank you. I'm guessing any hardware store would have these o-rings?

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Good to hear. Thank you. I'm guessing any hardware store would have these o-rings?
Hardware stores sell basic black buna crap. Good but not the best for high heat applications. Go to any shop that makes hydraulic hoses and sells fittings. They carry every possible size and grade of o-ring possible. Price is also pennies compared to what a dealer will charge. I suggest a Viton grade. It handles high heat and over time won't take a set, so the gripping/sealing pressure is retained.
Ron

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yep just put a good quality o ring in it and you'll be fine. I think that it's happened to everyone that's owned a vrod and if it hasn't then it probably will .

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
The ones I found at ACE hardware are not thick enough to do the trick. I ended up buying one from a Harley dealer.

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ones I found at ACE hardware are not thick enough to do the trick. I ended up buying one from a Harley dealer.
I called my local HD dealer yesterday afternoon and ordered two of them. They are $1.00/each. :)

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I called my local HD dealer yesterday afternoon and ordered two of them. They are $1.00/each. :)
I should have mentioned the o ring is metric and why I suggested a hydraulic shop rather then a hardware store that likely only carries standard sizes, as RustyG mentioned. The OEM, I found is a tad on the loose side. It does seal and hold the tube, but just barely. The replacement I used is a bit tighter. Lube it up prior to slipping it into the head in either case.
Ron

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should have mentioned the o ring is metric and why I suggested a hydraulic shop rather then a hardware store that likely only carries standard sizes, as RustyG mentioned. The OEM, I found is a tad on the loose side. It does seal and hold the tube, but just barely. The replacement I used is a bit tighter. Lube it up prior to slipping it into the head in either case.
Ron
Thanks for all of the replies fellas! :thumb:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Upon getting home, I searched the internet and had read that it is a fairly common occurrence. Ridiculous! The bike has 1,300 miles on it and now I essentially have to have a friend follow me around with a chase truck when I ride, in fear of spewing oil everywhere. I never had this problem with my '06 VRSCE. I hope I can come across a fix so I don't have anxiety every time I go for a spin.
Like was said Bad design. I did away with the rifle design. Even when you put it in the block first, the shell is not long enough to seal well enough in air filter housing was my experience.Because oil would soon run down from the top down along side of shell. I have tried o-rings at top and all kinds of stuff, I decided to get a barbed aluminum pipe barbed on both ends. Its normally used for joining two hoses together. I measured the length to fit well into the top and bottom. Cut one end of barbed end so I could put the o-ring on. I put the other barbed end into air filter housing and used two small zip ties and tied the rubber around it. This is now a permanent fix. So when you remove the filter housing the pipe comes with it. When reinstalling the filter housing you have to be sure and line it up correctly and gently push it into block. And it would be wise to replace o-ring whenever it is removed. No leaks in 3yrs.

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you again for the replies gentlemen. Now, I just need to make certain I drain all of the oil out of the bike when I change it this weekend. I won't be able to warm up the bike since a good bit of oil was lost and the CEL kicked on.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Thank you again for the replies gentlemen. Now, I just need to make certain I drain all of the oil out of the bike when I change it this weekend. I won't be able to warm up the bike since a good bit of oil was lost and the CEL kicked on.
Roll the rear wheel up onto a 1" plank. Sit bike on side stand and pull drain plug. Let it drain overnight then tomorrow morning reinstall drain plug and add 4 quarts oil. Run bike until operating temp and check oil level. Add additional quart to bring to full level.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...I won't be able to warm up the bike since a good bit of oil was lost and the CEL kicked on.
The CEL isn't used to monitor oil level or pressure. There's a dedicated oil pressure light (oil level is not monitored) so if your CEL light is on, you have other problems.

You should read the codes to determine what trouble code(s) is(are) set.

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The CEL isn't used to monitor oil level or pressure. There's a dedicated oil pressure light (oil level is not monitored) so if your CEL light is on, you have other problems.

You should read the codes to determine what trouble code(s) is(are) set.
Ok. Then, the CEL kicked on when the brass tube pulled out of the cylinder head. Regardless, this entire episode was triggered by this poor design. As soon as the smoke started rolling off of the exhaust, I shut the bike down. I'll be putting it back together this weekend when the new O-rings come in to my local dealer.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Ok. Then, the CEL kicked on when the brass tube pulled out of the cylinder head. Regardless, this entire episode was triggered by this poor design. As soon as the smoke started rolling off of the exhaust, I shut the bike down. I'll be putting it back together this weekend when the new O-rings come in to my local dealer.
The tube or breather circuit has no connection to the ECM . Code was triggered from something else.
Ron

1 - 20 of 43 Posts