Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I am doing my first oil change on the 2009 VRSCAW. I presumed that under the oil drain plug would be some kind of gasket or crush washer. I checked the drain pan, on the plug and on the floor.... no gasket or washer to be found.

I then looked in the parts book that I have and no gasket or washer.... :deal: that book has been wrong before though.

Is this correct, that the oil drain plug does NOT use a gasket ??

Thanks

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Use your torque wrench. There are plenty of stripped oil pans reported here.
Do not over tighten........

I am getting to the point where I am scared about my next oil change as last time I did it the thread wasn't feeling the best.

And a new oil pan isn't a cheap replacement.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Do not over tighten........

I am getting to the point where I am scared about my next oil change as last time I did it the thread wasn't feeling the best.

And a new oil pan isn't a cheap replacement.
You don't need a new oil pan if it gets stripped.You can install a steel thread sert that makes it better than new.Don't use a helicoil,a solid thread sert is what should be used here.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It has to be tight or it will drip...

I just picked up some nylon oil drain plug washers at the auto parts store and used one. Doing so means I don't have to make it so tight and don't have to worry about stripping it.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
timesert.com is the web site. Question is..... what size is the drain plug for the vrod?
The thread for the oil pan drain plug is 14 X 1.5 mm but I’m not sure how deep the threads are.

Here’s the website for Timesert metric kits.

The standard kit has 17.5 mm long inserts (part #1415) but you can also get #1415C with 9.4 mm inserts or 1415A with 12.7 mm inserts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts