Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 5,000 miles now since the proper breakin this past August. At the 1,000 service, when I noted without concern it was down a about 3/4 of a quart. I changed the filter and added HDI's SYN3. Since then, everytime I check the oil at about 600-700 miles, it's down about 3/4 of a quart so I top it off. The last time I checked, I decided to not top it off and see what happens. I went another 800 miles and it's still down only 3/4 of a quart. When I changed the oil & filter I followed the HDI specs and procedures so as not to overfill the crankcase. The dipstick seems accurate and of course I check the level when the bike is at normal operating temp, is not running and is level (Memo to HDI: a site window in the crankcase like you put in the oil tank on my '92 FXLRC would have been so much easier).

Anyone having the same issue? Any solutions out there in the land of VROD owners?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I used about 1/2 qt in 500 miles on the factory oil.I continued to use about 1/2 that amount untill appr 5000 miles.At 5000 miles I switched to the Harley syn and haven't used a drop at 8500.I have one honda 50 style engine that passes oil with every brand exept pennzoil 40.Not a drop with this.I have had engines in new cars that actully smoked with 10-30 syn mobil.They liked valvoline.And then I have a lawmwower that is 15 yrs old that still has the factory 10 wt.banana oil.I quit trying to figure it a long time ago and just tryed different oils untill the rings were happy.if somebody can explain it I would like to know why.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 2 of 2 Posts