Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Harley v rod. I’ve had numerous opinions on how often to change the oil. 1500 miles is the most common. I’ve also heard 5000 miles cause it’s liquid cooled unlike other harleys. I’m at 1500 miles since last oil change and the new riding season is a approaching. Opinions are much appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
When in doubt just change it, especially if riding season is approaching.
More time in the seat Vs Wrenching.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I aways try to have fresh oil for winter storage. Storing long term with acids in the oil is not metal friendly. Lately, I haven't been doing two 5k changes a year so, it's just a seasonal change now. 5k is fine for syn changes but if one has high levels of fuel dilution, sooner might be advisable. Fuel dilution is from a rich tune ( very common) or many short runs as well as cold weather operations where the mixture is richer. Basically, change as required based on the conditions.
Ron

·
Registered
246 Posts
Depending on how much riding I do, I change mine once a year. If I only put about 300 miles, like last year, on in a year I might do it every 2 years.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Your Owners manual gives you the facts you need. Mileage vs yearly is of concern.
I change my 2007 every 5K miles and I now have 187,000 miles on it. No engine problems to date other than clutch being replaced twice.
If you don't have a Owners manual go here --> Motorcycle Maintenance Services | Harley-Davidson USA

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,

I have changed my engine oil yesterday, to the usual 20W-50, but it was at least twice as thick as normally. It was brand new, I have just opened it, although it was made 2 years ago. I know thicker oil wil not flow as fast as it should, and it might not get into places, so not sure if I need to worry. I dont mind replacing it again if needed, anz ideas?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
hedgehanter sounds like you're dealing with cold petroleum based oil ? It's more sensitive to cold and thickens more than synthetic so always allow your engine and oil to warm up before riding it hard and you'll be fine. If it bothers you you can drop to 10W/40 below 40 F 4C, but only use Synthetic if you can. As far as changing the oil and filter interval there are probably a hundred pages of searchable discussion here on the site, it ranges from as little as severe service racing every 10 - 20 passes to street turbo, super charged 1500 miles twice a season to regular use 3000 miles once a season to sport touring spirited year round use 6000 miles every 2 years max. ( which I've done with Amsoil in my bike ) - that's when my oil sample went to the yellow zone with viscosity and ph beginning to decay, so that's my oil change limit. I think everyone here would agree the Revolution engine runs and shifts better with fresh top quality Synthetic Oil so just change it as your conditions and usage dictate and your engine will last 187K ( and counting to 200 K !) like Rusty G's on 5000 mile changes - (y);)

·
Registered
26 Posts
hedgehanter sounds like you're dealing with cold petroleum based oil ? It's more sensitive to cold and thickens more than synthetic so always allow your engine and oil to warm up before riding it hard and you'll be fine. If it bothers you you can drop to 10W/40 below 40 F 4C, but only use Synthetic if you can. As far as changing the oil and filter interval there are probably a hundred pages of searchable discussion here on the site, it ranges from as little as severe service racing every 10 - 20 passes to street turbo, super charged 1500 miles twice a season to regular use 3000 miles once a season to sport touring spirited year round use 6000 miles every 2 years max. ( which I've done with Amsoil in my bike ) - that's when my oil sample went to the yellow zone with viscosity and ph beginning to decay, so that's my oil change limit. I think everyone here would agree the Revolution engine runs and shifts better with fresh top quality Synthetic Oil so just change it as your conditions and usage dictate and your engine will last 187K ( and counting to 200 K !) like Rusty G's on 5000 mile changes - (y);)
Hi,

My issue is the NEW oil which was twice as thick as it should be! :) I use syntethic oil but I will not risk it, just ordered a new oil a different brand this time.

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts