Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I ride a 2004 v-rod and today I changed the oil myself, but I did something wrong that was ordering the wrong oil filter that didn't fit ( The seller told me It would fit) Then after all the black nasty oil came out I had to put the old filter back which broke my heart.... My question is, can I replace the oil filter without removing the oil I just put? Or soon as I remove the oil filter, all the oil will come out from that hole? Thank you in advance! 馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽

Registered
Hello, I ride a 2004 v-rod and today I changed the oil myself, but I did something wrong that was ordering the wrong oil filter that didn't fit ( The seller told me It would fit) Then after all the black nasty oil came out I had to put the old filter back which broke my heart.... My question is, can I replace the oil filter without removing the oil I just put? Or soon as I remove the oil filter, all the oil will come out from that hole? Thank you in advance! 馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽
Sorry but it鈥檚 gonna start pouring out! You may be able to swap the new one in fast enough to not have to replace all the oil though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry but it鈥檚 gonna start pouring out! You may be able to swap the new one in fast enough to not have to replace all the oil though.
I was thinking that I could just use the oil that dropped and put it back into the oil intake hole :alien:

Registered
I was thinking that I could just use the oil that dropped and put it back into the oil intake hole :alien:
You can change the filter without losing the oil in the pan. From the filter it goes to pump. Slight loss as it really won't siphon past the rotors in the pump to any degree. Some will drain back from the oil cooler line that's up hill. Again, normal filter change slop. If you bucket is clean to catch the oil when you pull the filter, no reason you can't add it back to the fill hole later.
Ron

Premium Member
I wouldn't reuse any oil that comes out of the filter area plus hoses uphill - if it leaked out and touched the frame or any components on the filter adapter or bottom of the bike chances are it picked up dirt - silica often not even seeable by the eye. If you have a clean drop to the bucket maybe, but I just wouldn't do it. Its cheap insurance - just buy another quart of oil as the Revo engine and your peace of mind is well worth another 12 bucks. We had a pilot that was putting oil in the engines on his Citation jet by himself and not wiping the dust off the top of the Mobil Jet II oil cans or cleaning the funnel every time or keeping it in a ziplock bag and we found out by getting the oil samples back with a high silica content giving away his carelessness - he had no idea he should clean them and 10 quarts of oil later @ $ 20+ a quart plus labor we drained and re-filled the engines. Dirt is the enemy of engine life.

Registered
NO OIL DRAIN WASHER USED ON THE VRSC PLATFORM, ADRI

Registered
The Video is wrong then

Registered
Vid is wrong. There is no washer under the drain plug but it doesn't hurt anything if one is used. Many bikes have a soft aluminum sealing washer. It will seal without it.
Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts