Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Warm up bike then drain it

Votes: 29 82.9%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I want some opinons. My V-ROD has been stored since November and I should be getting it out this weekend. It has Harley SYN3 in it and I'm replacing it with the same.
Would you just drain it?
Or should I start the bike up, let it warm up to temp and then drain it?

Thanks for your opinons! :plause:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I suggest to always change the oil when warm.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Different folks may have other opinions - but if the oil was changed before the bike went into storage (i.e. it has zero miles on it) - do you need to change it at all come springtime?

The information I've been told is that it is important to put fresh oil before storing it, because the combustion byproducts can cause corrosion over the winter months. One article I read recommended putting cheap, generic oil in before storing the bike, and then replacing it when you bring the bike out of storage. But if you put Syn3 in, it seems somewhat extravagant to toss this essentially brand new oil.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I voted, but, what is "storage"???????

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
gas in oil?

Followup to vroddrew's comment: I'm picking up a bike that has been stored for 6 months. Oil was changed before storage. Am I correct is assuming that, unlike old float-bowl carbs, with EFI there is no liklihood of gas draining into the sump over the winter? I've a 40 mile drive to bring it home before I can change the oil. Souldn't be a problem unless there's gas in the oil.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always change oil after the engine has been warmed up. But this time my reason for asking is my bike has sat so long, (over 5 months), that I was thinking all of the contaminats should be in the sump so if I drain it it would not send them through the engine like it would if I warm it up first. Last fall I changed the SYN3 then put about 300 miles on it before putting it in storage. Lets hear your thoughts! Steve.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
bbruce65 said:
You know, it's like what your bike does on a rainy day that lasts 5 months.... :spank:
We had some of that there "water fallin from the sky" this weekend. schools closed, and the city was declared in a state of emergency.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Greg687 said:
We had some of that there "water fallin from the sky" this weekend. schools closed, and the city was declared in a state of emergency.

:cheers:
I heard. The company that I work for has a plant on the Mexican side of the border. Hope that you and your family is OK.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Thanks for the concern. the worst of the rain was south and east of us. We really need it out here... our 7 year drought is going to turn 10 this year. :birthday: :banghead:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, over 150 views and 21 votes. I'm going to warm it up and change it. Thanks!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have the same thoughts as
vroddrew
I learned from shop class to always store an engine with fresh oil and stick an oiled(but not nasty-dripping just lightly on the end for easy cleanup) rag in every intake and exhaust entrance and exit. No matter how an engine is sitting one valve or another is open and the rag helps with humidity and moisture ..........
BobT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts