Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Oh, there are gains alright. It's just nobody has done a back to back with the vr. I think, back in the day, Krankvents did. At any time there is ring float, blowby will increase and a slight drop in hp. Serious racers even go to the extreme of running a vacuum pump to make sure the case in negative pressure to keep the rings from floating and keep pistons from trying to compress air on the down stroke which robs power also.
Ron
Thanks for the input Ron, i suppose there are no negatives fitting one apart from the cash outlay so i will probably go ahead and fit one

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Thanks for the input Ron, i suppose there are no negatives fitting one apart from the cash outlay so i will probably go ahead and fit one
Don't know 100%. Porsche designers are no dummies and the big question to me is why they eliminated them as an important item from the get go. There is a restrictor in the rear head fitting and the cansister outlet is quite small, again some form of game plan involved. My gut feeling is the stock design is to improve oiling via misting or whatever to certain areas of the engine or trans. Can I prove it , no but having co designed the compensator aftermarket oiling method MoCo now uses since 2014 on the big twins, there's a big spread between theory and how it really works when it comes to oiling.
On the other hand, several have one way valved the breather circuit and have no issues that I know of. Me, I'm still on the fence. As for remote venting away from the throttle bodies that is a gain in overall carbon reduction in the combustion chamber. No good comes from long term injesting oil vapor into the engine. That's strictly EPA requirements.
Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I know this thread is several years old, but I’m noticing a fair amount of oil in my airbox. I am running topless with an Amsoil air filter. Would I be better off installing a Mishimoto catch can or installing a check valve? I agree that it does seem odd that they never put one on these bikes, but there has to be a reason behind it. If I understand the thread correctly, both the catch can and check valve accomplish the same task of keeping the airbox dry?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
So I know this thread is several years old, but I’m noticing a fair amount of oil in my airbox. I am running topless with an Amsoil air filter. Would I be better off installing a Mishimoto catch can or installing a check valve? I agree that it does seem odd that they never put one on these bikes, but there has to be a reason behind it. If I understand the thread correctly, both the catch can and check valve accomplish the same task of keeping the airbox dry?
Both help keep it dry. The check valve also will add a tad of extra hp.
Ron

41 - 45 of 45 Posts