Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maxx has set up our abilty to upload .PDF files. Here is the most recent oil Analysis I have had done on my 02 V-rod. Take a look at the gas% Again my dealer says thats normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
How much does an oil analysis cost? What is involved? Is it part of an amsoil program to tell you when to change your oil? Or is it just for your own information?

I might be interested in sending in a sample for comparative data, and to see how the old V-Rod is doing after 15,500 miles.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bruzer,

It cost $20. Here is a link. They will send you a kit for free to catch the oil. It takes about 10 days to get the report you saw above sent to you via Email.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just ordered a kit. They recommend a 2000 mile minimum for inspection. Given that it's winter and the only chance I get to ride my bike is when I go south, I should have 2000 miles by my next vacation in March.

I'll join the data-logging at that point.

Thanks for the info.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
hippo888 said:
They recommend a 2000 mile minimum for inspection.
And therein lies the problem.

Most oil analysis outfits are set up to help trucking companies, etc. decide how often they should change the oil on their big rig trucks. When an semi-truck engine oil change costs a couple of hundred dollars, it can make real economic sense to see if you can eke out a few extra thousand miles between changes - or to get an early "heads up" on mechanical problems.

A semi-truck that puts on 2000 miles+ per week is going to have a whole lot of different issues than a motorcycle that puts on a couple of hundred per month. And frankly, synthetic oil or not, just about every authoritative source I've read or spoken to recommends changing your scoot's oil way before 2000 miles.

Please don't take this the wrong way - if it makes you feel more comfortable sending your oil out to be "checked" go ahead - but unless they are comparing your oil to that of other liquid-cooled V-twin motorcycles, I wouldn't get too excited over many of their findings (unless they start reporting very high iron or aluminum levels). Personally, I'd spend the $20 and the time you spend taking and mailing samples to increase your oil change frequency.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drew

I don't understand. Now I have seen a half dozen other VROD oil analysis and they came back w/ less the 2%. They too reported the stong odor of fuel in their oil, but when they got the report back it was well within spec.

The assumption that oil analysis co are primarily for the trucking industry may have been true at it's genesis but today many idustries use it, such as the marine industry. Numbers are numbers are numbers. I would agree we could argue over is 2% or 5% or in my case 7% too much or just a waste of time. But what you can't argue with is the viscosity of the oil being reduces to straight 20 or 30w.

All things being equal and viscosity remaining at an acceptable level I would blow off the fuel %'s.

Have you ever owned a Jap bike? I had a Valkyrie before the Vrod and I could get 8k miles out of my Mobil 1 and still have great specs on the analysis.

I guess what I am saying is based on other Vrod owners who have reported both high and normal fuel %'s and me previous history with this lab on other motorcycles, I see that the bike has something unusual going on. Maybe it is long idel periods, or running in very cold weather. But something is causing some Vrod engines to drop fuel into the oil at unacceptably high levels.

·
Autobanmod
9,893 Posts
Good thing to have your oil tested on a regular basis.
Where could the Al come from?
As stated in the second report the wear rate is improved. So it might be a normal "running in" process.
The second thing that comes to my mind would be the cylinder head (valve drive?) or the engine case (bearing turning in seat?)
Any strong mechanical noises? Compare the sound to another V-Rod with same setup.

Concerning the low flashpoint/high fuel content:
A leaking injector would be bad if you have the ignition switched on without running engine - is the fuel pump running for a long time when you turn the key?
Cold engine at long time idle speed is most probably not the reason because the fuel evaporates (check engine/gearbox venting) again from the oil at higher temperatures and I assume that your engine reaches the normal operating temperature at least before you take the sample.

Jan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts