Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was hooking up a battery tender today on my brand new to me 2002. (Took me about five minutes just to find the battery.) While trying to attach the pigtail onto the battery terminals, of course I had to drop the pesky little nut on the battery's + side somewhere into the engine. So, I took the cap off, then removed, the air filter to see over how difficult it would be to remove the bottom half of the airbox, maybe help find that dang nut.

That's when I noticed the velocity stacks.:)

I could swear for an instant there a certain part of my body started to resemble a velocity stack.:D

Very well done, Porsche, VERY well done.:notworth:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Yes I'm quite impressed with the whole intake system on this bike (except for the snorkel, which is really only a silencer). But an automotive style air filter, velocity stacks and and an intake tract you can stare down and see the valves through is the shit!

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
So, I was hooking up a battery tender today on my brand new to me 2002. (Took me about five minutes just to find the battery.) While trying to attach the pigtail onto the battery terminals, of course I had to drop the pesky little nut on the battery's + side somewhere into the engine. So, I took the cap off, then removed, the air filter to see over how difficult it would be to remove the bottom half of the airbox, maybe help find that dang nut.

That's when I noticed the velocity stacks.:)

I could swear for an instant there a certain part of my body started to resemble a velocity stack.:D

Very well done, Porsche, VERY well done.:notworth:
I do believe "Harley" has the patent on this intake system. :D :notworth:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do believe "Harley" has the patent on this intake system. :D :notworth:
If that's the case, kudo's to them. No matter who designed it, I am very, very impressed.:notworth:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
If that's the case, kudo's to them. No matter who designed it, I am very, very impressed.:notworth:
It's customary here to argue with Vambo everytime he posts something, even on the rare occasion that he's actually right. Just saying.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
It's customary here to argue with Vambo everytime he posts something, even on the rare occasion that he's actually right. Just saying.
And Hand really hates it when I am, that's why he's so damn grumpy all the time, that and he's from Texas. :kiss:

Actually they have had the patent since the late 70's, early 80's. "Nova Project" .....Just sayin'. :D

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
What does Harley hold the patent on,the specific design of the intake system,or the stacks? Surely they aren't the first company to use designed velocity stacks,or is this just another deception like most people believing Mopar invented the Hemi type engine,when the truth is,Mopar holds the copy rights to the word Hemi.The original inventor of the Hemi was way back in 1909,I think.It was a single cylinder engine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my Mopar fanatic buddy real good. He knew I was a Chevy guy, one day I told him I used my Hemi to come to work. He was real pleased, thought I had converted until we walked out to the parkiing lot and I showed him my Shovelhead.:D

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
What does Harley hold the patent on,the specific design of the intake system,or the stacks? Surely they aren't the first company to use designed velocity stacks,or is this just another deception like most people believing Mopar invented the Hemi type engine,when the truth is,Mopar holds the copy rights to the word Hemi.The original inventor of the Hemi was way back in 1909,I think.It was a single cylinder engine.
Yup. I think if you look you will find that most of the air cooled radial engines from the WWII era onward have classic hemispherical combustion chambers.

http://www.enginehistory.org/air-cooled_cylinders_2.htm

The two great liquid cooled engines of WWII (from the Allied perspective) the Allison 1710 and Rolls Royce Merlin were using four valve pent roof combustion chambers and overhead camshafts. These were pre-WWII designs I might add. By the end of WWII the hemi head's limitations were already well understood among aviation engineers.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
In 1918 Harley Davidson's board track racer was a v-twin with 4 overhead valves per cylinder. No Porsche

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
The whole "downdraft" intake assembly in general as applied to MC's. Google it if you care to see it. Thought I had it bookmarked but you have to sift thru a lot-o-crap to find it. Designed back when for the Nova. Gas under seat was also patented back then. Harley holds near 500 patents.
Downdraft is the most efficient way to intake air, I do believe it's the only bike with complete downdraft and a shared/filtered air chamber.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Elrod is onto something, Harley may hae a patent on some part of the system. Sometimes that patent can keep others from useing the entire system for thier use. Its also know that Harley has more lawyers than any other company.

El love the "392". One of my favorite stack systems is the old Crower canted stack Fuel Intection. May not have worked for the most power but looks so cool sticking out the hood of an old gasser.

I think the Vmax was in production with a shared downdraft system since the mid 80's. First carbs then FI. I remember something about Vboost and other cylinders able to utilize another carb at high loads.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
El love the "392". One of my favorite stack systems is the old Crower canted stack Fuel Intection. May not have worked for the most power but looks so cool sticking out the hood of an old gasser.
As far as I know,I still own a 392.I need to take a ride and see if it's still where I had it stored.It was originally in a DeSoto and I stuffed it in a 73 Cuda.It was pretty cool gathering everything up and making adapters and the such so the 1975 and later components could be used with it.I had some other De Soto's for parts,but they were the smaller ci Red Ram engines.It would be cool to stuff a Red Ram into a half ton pickup and run a 360 TB injection system on it.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I think the Red ram would be pretty cool in a Little Red Express pickup. Stacks and all.
Worked on a guys 392 dual quad 34 3 window. Back when Hot Rod black was all you could aford not because your trying to look retro. It was 2 small carter 4bbls. He was having a problem getting them sincronized. Took a bit of tunning but it ran very good. Pie crust slicks and a 4 speed ran low 10's.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What is strange to me about the "Nova" project is all of the photo's you see today of the bikes show a traditional cruiser and not the evil looking cafe racer they used as a prototype and had us guard 24/7 while it was out of lock and key at the York Plant.

Funny thing is when you looked at the ones we had to sit endless hours watching in the design rooms at the York Plant it showed the V-rod style exposed frame and the stance that we all know today as the V-Rod.Those cruiser bikes didn't come along till all but at the end of the demise of that program and that was right after the celebration of ownership transferral at the York Plant and not long after the Japanese toured the plant.

It also was not long after the Japanese tour that the pseudo-Harley's appeared on all the major Japanese bike showrooms.I left the plant as a guard not long after the transfer of ownership and never got to see those bikes again and wondered where they ever went to as there were two of them that were complete and did run many laps on the old test track.

The only thing I do not understand with the velocity stacks on our rides is why no one has made a air filter system to allow for topless riding and air availability from the top which would be a more direct entrance as air does not like to bend around corners.

Ah yes,where has the time gone..........Andy

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Elrod is onto something, Harley may hae a patent on some part of the system. Sometimes that patent can keep others from useing the entire system for thier use. Its also know that Harley has more lawyers than any other company.

I think the Vmax was in production with a shared downdraft system since the mid 80's. First carbs then FI. I remember something about Vboost and other cylinders able to utilize another carb at high loads.

Which came after the Harley Nova (downdraft), but the V-Max was a 45 or 22 degree side draft intake on both sides of the bike.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
What is strange to me about the "Nova" project is all of the photo's you see today of the bikes show a traditional cruiser and not the evil looking cafe racer they used as a prototype and had us guard 24/7 while it was out of lock and key at the York Plant.

Funny thing is when you looked at the ones we had to sit endless hours watching in the design rooms at the York Plant it showed the V-rod style exposed frame and the stance that we all know today as the V-Rod.Those cruiser bikes didn't come along till all but at the end of the demise of that program and that was right after the celebration of ownership transferral at the York Plant and not long after the Japanese toured the plant.

It also was not long after the Japanese tour that the pseudo-Harley's appeared on all the major Japanese bike showrooms.I left the plant as a guard not long after the transfer of ownership and never got to see those bikes again and wondered where they ever went to as there were two of them that were complete and did run many laps on the old test track.

The only thing I do not understand with the velocity stacks on our rides is why no one has made a air filter system to allow for topless riding and air availability from the top which would be a more direct entrance as air does not like to bend around corners.

Ah yes,where has the time gone..........Andy

Because the system holds plenty of "volume" as is. You need only enough to fill the cylinders, anymore is moot.(thanx!) That's why turbo's/blowers are great, they compress the air to get more in the same cylinder.

We built a Sportster with a straight stack off an S&S E and could not tune it proper. We played for weeks until an old timer mentioned that the air could be blowing right past the velocity stack. We installed the stocker for kicks and realized instant increase in HP. Not that stock was great but that particular stack/carb combo was not. The air box is a good thing unless you build a monster inch motor, probably even then. I love the amount of filtering also.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts