Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand spankin new 08 AW and the clutch lever leaks :chair: ! Anyone have any suggestions before I take it back to the dealer? It is actually coming from the lever itself and not the reservoir. I suppose it probably has to have a seal replaced but if it was something else I could do myself without having to take it back that would be great. I've only had the bike for 36 hours and it's about a 45 min drive to take it to the dealer, I don't want to be without it either. (kinda concerned about the hydrolic fluid eating the paint though)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If it is leaking out of the shaft then you need to have them replace or rebuild the master and as Greg stated keep the fluid off your paint since dot 4 will eat it up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this is driving me nuts that it is Sunday and I can't get it back to them until tomorrow. If it eats my beautiful paint I'll be more than EXTREMELY pissed off!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Bet you never had a leak like that on your Warrior!

Don't try to do anything with it yourself, that's why you have the warranty. Just protect your paint till you can get it to the stealer.

Ride safe!!
Larry

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jet Noise Bass said:
Bet you never had a leak like that on your Warrior!

Don't try to do anything with it yourself, that's why you have the warranty. Just protect your paint till you can get it to the stealer.

Ride safe!!
Larry
You're right, the warrior didn't have a hydrolic clutch!

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
toy_collector said:
You're right, the warrior didn't have a hydraulic clutch!
:rofl:

No one is gonna have that rebuild kit on stock either, I would just take it back to them and have them fix it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smoothrod said:
:rofl:

No one is gonna have that rebuild kit on stock either, I would just take it back to them and have them fix it.
Thanks I was wondering how to spell "hydraulic", just too lazy to look it up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jet Noise Bass said:
Yeah, that was the point.
To hijac my own thread, is there any advantage to having a cable versus hydraulic (other than the obvious lack of a leak with a cable)?

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
toy_collector said:
To hijac my own thread, is there any advantage to having a cable versus hydraulic (other than the obvious lack of a leak with a cable)?
I would say no. The hydraulic clutch is like having power brakes or steering in your car. It's much easier to pull and hold on to.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Cables are fine when new, but in time they get tougher and tougher and require more care. With hydraulic they can go for years with simple fluid changes and still be smooth as glass because they have nothing rubbing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cables are lower maintenance, simpler, easier to repair, and less to go wrong. Having said that, it's something of a matter of personal preference. Just like some people like liquid cooling, and some like the simplicity of air cooling.

But, it's all good!

Ride (wet or dry, cable or hydro) Safe!!
Larry

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Over thirty years of riding I've had three snapped clutch cables and never had a hydraulic clutch fail. Hydraulics for me every time please.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts