Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Semi "official" Rise and Reach numbers for various risers and bars

Ok-- after spending way more time on teh internetz than I should have, I finally tracked down the "official" numbers for both the Burleigh Muscle bar (easy) and stock Muscle bar (hard). I thought I'd post them here for future reference. Compare and contrast with Hanny's risers, Budman's pull-back riser, and GR Customs as you see fit--

Stock handlebars (part #56012-09):
Tip to tip: 31.75"
Rise: 6.00"
Pullback: 4.12"

Burleigh Bars 1 3/4" Muscle bar:
Height: 4-1/2" to base, 6-1/4" to top
Width: 32.00"
Rise: 6.00”
Pullback: 10.00"

These numbers came from Burleigh's website and from a buried HD document I finally found. They do NOT make this stuff easy to find!

R.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
Good job, sure someone will ask again in the future

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
FFFWD
765 Posts
Thanks! That's quite a difference in pull-back! By any chance does that buried document you found list numbers for Harley's "reduced-reach" bars?

·
Departed the Fix.
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That's quite a difference in pull-back! By any chance does that buried document you found list numbers for Harley's "reduced-reach" bars?
Ask and you shall receive:

Muscle Riser & Clamp Kit (part #55900008) for 1" diameter bar:
Height: 1.2"
Pull-back: 0.6"

1" Reduced Reach Handlebar (part #57466-10):
Tip to tip: 28.80"
Base width: 7.00"
Pullback: 6.25"
Knurl, center to center: 3.14"
Rise, tip to base, outside: 5.70"

So, adding this up, you'd get an approximate rise of 6.9" and pullback of 6.85" with the bars being about 3" narrower than stock (i.e. 1.5" on either side).

For comparison purposes, if you use Budman's 2.5" pullback riser, (and I'm assuming a 0.75" rise since I'd think you'd have to get some "up" if you go back like he does), you end up with a rise of approximately 6.75" and a pullback of 6.62". Since he says you can't go any farther back without changing out cables (which is compensated by the shorter HD reduced reach bar), that sounds about right.

So my best guess is that the HD reduced reach bar and riser setup and Budman's do very close to the same thing. Hanny's riser gives you 1.25" or 1.75" rise only, and GR Customs is all over the map depending on what bar you use.

At least that's what I've come up with. Your mileage may vary. I tried the Hanny riser first and it helped, but wasn't enough for my poor crunchy spine. I'm going to install Budman's riser when I get home Sunday and I'm praying that works-- if it doesn't, I'm either going to have to spring for the Burleigh's or convince the Wild1 guys to start making Muscle bars.

Hmmmm. With Burleigh's pushing $1K after being shipped from Down Under, I wonder if they'e be interested in making a bar that looked like the stock Muscle bars, but with more rise and pullback. Anyone want to step up to the plate and make a few phone calls on this?.....

R.

PS: If you're really bored, and you want to play with the GR Customs clamp, you can go here for a whole bunch of 1 3/4" bars:

http://www.wild1inc.com

·
Departed the Fix.
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's another possibility if you used the HD (NOT the GR) riser. These bars might or might not work with stock cables. I'd really like to find a bar similar in dimensions to the HD reduced reach one, but in a 1 1/4" predrilled so I could run the cables internally.

Any ideas?

R.

http://www.burlybrand.com/cruiserbars/index.aspx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Burleigh vs Stock

I sent an email to Burleigh and they advised that all cables and wiring would have to be extended 4.0 inches. To me that sounds expensive not to mention the expense of the bars themselves. I would like to hear from someone who is actually using the Burleigh bars. Do they really make that much difference, say from the Budman riser, pullback? I see a lot of numbers on pullback of the different bars, where is the measurement taken from? I. E. center of bars to end of bars or some other method? Thanks for any and all info., since this has become (I think) quite a confusing issue.

·
Registered
455 Posts
those burleigh bars look sweet. if we could arrange a group buy and get them for like $600 i would be in. They cant cost that much to make now that they have them, jeez.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
those burleigh bars look sweet. if we could arrange a group buy and get them for like $600 i would be in. They cant cost that much to make now that they have them, jeez.
.... and that's why I talked to a few custom bike builders here in Denver today. When I get some time (which won't be until mid-October at least), I'm going to bring the bike down and we're going to discuss how to either a) refabricate the stock bars or b) come up with something that looks aesthetically pleasing on the F. My goal is about 1" rise and 2" pullback, 1 1/4" and wired internally. Worst case, I may spring for a set of "reduced reach" bars and riser and use them as a template.

We'll see what transpires, and what the cost would be.

Budman's riser apparently hit my front porch today, and I suspect that might be an excellent solution for my spine-- BUT, I ***really*** want a RRC visor, so I'm jumping through hoops to see what can be done.

It can't be *that* hard. Measure. Jig. Measure again. Weld. Polish. Install. Do Happy Dance.

And then buy visor!

R.

·
FFFWD
765 Posts
*** I ORIGINALLY TYPED THIS A FEW HOURS AGO BUT SOMEHOW DIDN'T SUBMIT THE POST. I just saw your post about taking a handlebar project to your custom builder in Denver - very interested, also interested in possible group buy for Burleigh ***

Wow, thanks for doing all this homework, FBJ! What a great resource this thread is now. I ordered my bike with the reduced-reach bars but the bars came in later than the bike so I rode it for about a week with the stock bars before switching. The reduced-reach bars certainly gave me a much more comfortable riding position. It's interesting to me to now see how much more pullback the Burleigh bars have. Now I'm even more interested in them. And they certainly look cooler than my boring reduced-reach bar. That being said, the practical side of me hasn't really cared that much about ditching the stock bar in favor of the reduced-reach bar - I still dig my bike. :)

One other difference to note between the H-D reduced-reach setup and the Burleigh bar is the height of the instrument cluster. I'm not really crazy about the instrument cluster sitting up higher the way it is with the H-D reduced-reach riser. My RRC visor pretty much hides it now, but the top edge of the cluster would be a little more flush with the top edge of the visor with the Burleigh setup.

I would also have to engineer a solution for my "quick-release" windshield if I went to the Burleigh bars. Not too big a deal I guess - I already modified the windshield hardware to make my shield sit more upright, which was really helpful on my 3600 mile PCH trip I took in August. (trip report coming eventually -no small task- I've just been way too busy since returning to get to it yet)

·
Departed the Fix.
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heh. I already figured out the windshield solution-- when I was looking at Wife's Nightster the other day.

My solution? Get two more clamps. fabricate angle bracket (maybe 24-36" long and about 3/4" wide on both sides) that allows you to install another set of clamps *below* the two orignal clamps (i.e. one set above headlight, one set below). Run the angle bracket up to where the rods to the handlebars were connected to the windshield. Install two bolts. The only hard part is to bend the bracket to match the curve of the shield. Not to hard to template. Now, you'll have a windshield that a) sits the proper height over the headlight, b) is held onto the fork by four clamps and c) is at the same angle as the fork and not leaning back to make up for the reduced reach riser/bars. Look at the quick-release windshield on a Nighster and you'll see exactly what I mean.

If you want to get really fancy, pc the brackets as well as the aluminum strip running horizontally on the shield-- then you can continue your blackout project!

I'll get to this eventually, but it's (literally) about #97 on the Mod list.

Yes, I have a list.

R.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh-- E2E--

I'm just brainstorming at the moment, but what I'm thinking of (either modding the stocker bar or fabbing another one) is to basically cut the bars, bring them up an inch, and then cut the bars again to bring them back two inches. That will leave the gauge cluster where it's supposed to be.

I do NOT have time for these projects. Stupid work. Gets in the way.

Sigh.

MSP-IAH-DEN tomorrow. Then install Hanny's riser. Then go on long ride with friends. Then end up an local watering hole. Then back on the road again.

R.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not the best pics, but about the best I can do from a hotel room.

This should give you an idea of what I'm talking about with the windshield mount.

R.

Attachments

·
FFFWD
765 Posts
I'll get to this eventually, but it's (literally) about #97 on the Mod list.

Yes, I have a list.
I do NOT have time for these projects. Stupid work. Gets in the way.

Sigh.

MSP-IAH-DEN tomorrow. Then install Hanny's riser. Then go on long ride with friends. Then end up an local watering hole. Then back on the road again.
You're freakin' killin' me. So, um yeah, I finally washed my bike yesterday, the first time since ending my PCH trip a month ago. Pulled the bags, windshield and loaner touring seat... slapped my RRC visor and buffalo seat back on... ready to roll. I've ridden my bike a total of one time since August 28. That's about to change though. Today. The weather in Phoenix hasn't been exactly inviting to ride lately but the heat is finally breaking. My riding season coincides with our friends down under, of course. All the more reason a 3 week PCH trip in August was so stellar for a Phoenician. I just had to take a break from the extracurriculars in September to catch up with the rest of life... that which had been ignored for most of August. I might even finally get around to writing a real trip report now! :blahblah:

Anyhow, here's a pic to ponder...

Attachments

·
FFFWD
765 Posts
I forgot to add, thank you for your service, FBJ. Sincerely.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're freakin' killin' me.
I'm going to kill you some more. :D After installing and riding with Budman's riser, all plans to do Burleigh bars, chop up my stockers, or finding a custom shop to "one-off" are on hold-- probably permanently. Budman's riser is just that good.

The only thing that irks me is that I *really* wanted to get the RRC visor-- but that's the one part that won't work. However, it's not worth several thousand dollars to fix. And, that money can go to a new seat, new shocks, or new front end.

I'm going to toss the new DX bracket/shield on there and see how it looks-- I think it will cover up the gap nicely (which, for the record, looks FAR better in person than it does in pictures.)

R.

PS: Thank YOU for the kind words. It's appreciated. Sometimes, it's a drag, but there are good points. I just got out of tossing the full-motion simulator around for a couple of hours. It's a little scary what two old Lt. Col's can do with a $30 million toy and 22 years of experience (each) in the same jet.

Yes, you CAN barrel roll a 600,000 lb. C-5 Galaxy. At least theoretically.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts