Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah can you believe it, a off-road V-Rod. Take a look at the pictures of this truelly custom V-Rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I believe that he is a member here, neat bike!

·
Registered
290 Posts

Attachments

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Zijspan said:
Snow could be fun (see rear wheel secret spy photo), but we're oriented towards sand:
I bet there's a bigger market for a snow-rod!! I could definitely use one!

Looks just great.

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Great video from the SPEED channel Scott! Everyone who hasn't gone to the hogwildracing website should go there and watch the video.

I'm wondering if our forum can help sponsor (what little we may be able to scrounge up, but every little bit helps), be fun to see our logo at Dakar!

KARAF

·
Registered
54 Posts
I saw these guys race at Pike's Peak International Hill Climb! I was suprised to see a V-Rod in the 2003 race so soon.

Nice set of wheels.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bruzer said:
I saw these guys race at Pike's Peak International Hill Climb! I was suprised to see a V-Rod in the 2003 race so soon.
Bruzer, we've had a GREAT time at Pikes Peak (3 wins for HD over the years). Unfortunately we have to skip it this year, as we'll be doing 500 miles of desert (race) from Vegas-to-Reno on that same day in preparation for Dakar. You know a Harley won the sidecar class in the first year of the Pikes Peak Hillclimb back in 1916. We were thrilled to add the V-Rod into the record books for that historic and prestigious race!

Karaf said:
I'm wondering if our forum can help sponsor (what little we may be able to scrounge up, but every little bit helps), be fun to see our logo at Dakar!
KARAF
Thanks Karaf for your kind thoughts!

The cost for us to do the Dakar Rally is around $55,000 to $75,000 (depends heavily on how much support we bring along). We may be able to fund a bit less than half of that from our own pockets, but that still leaves a huge shortage. As the January start date gets closer, I may put together some sort of plan to solicit individual donations if we still need help. But if we don't find a good corporate sponsor ($30,000 or more), we won't be close enough to make it. And I don't want to let down a bunch of individual donors if we can't go. So, I need to hold off on donations until we meet our minimum budget. Then the donations can lift us into the position of having a solid support system (mechanic, supplies, spare parts, etc.). Of course we can slip a V-RodForums.com logo on the bike either way.

With the minimum budget, we will have to wrench in the night for ourselves, after riding 10 to 15 hours each day. That's not a good plan for getting to the finish, but we'll do it if that's all the budget allows. More budget means more likelihood of finishing.

My passenger is working on some sponsorship possibilities in Europe, but so far no bites. I'm in contact with the right people at Harley-Davidson, and they are very much aware of what we are doing. Hey, they already donated two motors to our cause (thanks VERY much)! But they have a lot of things to spend money on, and we don't exactly fit smoothly into their marketing plans (a V-Rod powered off-road sidecar blasting across the Sahara desert sand dunes). I don't want to hear anyone crying about them not funding us. It's MY job to sell our plan to them. Crying doesn't help. Positive feedback does!

Attached below is one page from my sponsorship package. The whole package is on our HogWildRacing.com web site. In my opinion, having a V-Rod competing in the Dakar will be a huge story. We are already generating a lot of great press before we’ve even gotten to the starting line. If we are able to finish, that will be a huge nail in the coffin of every critic of the V-Rod and every critic of Harley’s “quality” image. It would seem to be in the best interest of Harley to help us get to the finish. I'm working that angle.

While I work on Harley, maybe one of you out there knows of a company that would like their very large logo plastered onto the front of our sidecar while we fly across the screen on TV’s around the world. The Dakar Rally is broadcast in over 150 countries, totaling over 400 hours of TV time each year (~80 hours in the Americas alone). We always get great press, and have large panel areas for sponsor logos! For those of you interested in various press items regarding the V-Rod (our V-Rod), you may want to check out our press clipping page:
Press Clippings
Hope you can read German, Dutch, Italian, Japanese, Hebrew, Estonian, and soon Russian!

There is nothing that motivates me more than thinking of our V-Rod rolling onto the finishing podium in Dakar. I just hope we can find a sponsor to help us get there!

Best regards,

Scott

p.s. Sorry Max for this sales pitch on the forum. But I wanted to fully respond to the others comments.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts