Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I took the bike in for the first major service I've noticed it has an odd sound like whining sound appears at any rpms. Nothing leaking, at least I don't see anything. I do know they said the valves were fine but had to put another head gasket on. Who has done their 12-15k major service? Just wondering if it's just me.....I never noticed the sound before. Bike runs well....

Bob

·
Registered
248 Posts
belt tension??...just a guess, did they have back wheel off or attempt to adjust belt? if so thats where i would start!

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
belt tension??...just a guess, did they have back wheel off or attempt to adjust belt? if so thats where i would start!
Not sure but thanks. I will see what I find. It's hard to pinpoint while riding it. I will check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
head gasket at 12000?whats the story there?thats not normal at all .
I was told they needed to check the valve adjustment / lash and see if shims were needed. Valves were fine and when putting it back together, another gasket was needed. I don't know the engine, so I thought it was normal.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I was told they needed to check the valve adjustment / lash and see if shims were needed. Valves were fine and when putting it back together, another gasket was needed. I don't know the engine, so I thought it was normal.
I suspect they don't mean THE head gasket, just A gasket. Not done the valves, but presumably the cover has a gasket? Must mean that?

Whine probably is belt. Wash it first then adjust tension.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
just a friendly heads up to anyone taking their V to the dealer for valve lash....
The HD spec states a specific range, and if your bike is in that range no adjustments will be made unless you spec where you want the lash to be.
Basically, if range is 1 to 8 and your bike goes in and is at 7.5 it is in the upper range and nothing will be done. Now if you specify you want it to be 4.5, they will adjust it to be in that zone.
***the numbers used in the example are arbitrary and are NOT the actual spec range for the valve lash****

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
just a friendly heads up to anyone taking their V to the dealer for valve lash....
The HD spec states a specific range, and if your bike is in that range no adjustments will be made unless you spec where you want the lash to be.
Basically, if range is 1 to 8 and your bike goes in and is at 7.5 it is in the upper range and nothing will be done. Now if you specify you want it to be 4.5, they will adjust it to be in that zone.
Good to know, so 4.5 is the best spec?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suspect they don't mean THE head gasket, just A gasket. Not done the valves, but presumably the cover has a gasket? Must mean that?

Whine probably is belt. Wash it first then adjust tension.
Oh ok. Shows I know little about this. The gasket they needed they had to order. In all, the bike was there for 18 days... I am glad I have it back.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
Good to know, so 4.5 is the best spec?
That is not a spec. I think he was just using that as an example.

Actual valve lash spec is not that wide of a range.

Intake .195mm-.245mm (.0078"-.0096")
Exhaust .295mm-.345mm (.0117"-.0135")

I normally use an inch angle feeler gauge and for the intake, set them so that .008" sides in and .009" does not. Then for the exhaust, .012" sides in .013" does not.

For what it's worth.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Oh ok. Shows I know little about this. The gasket they needed they had to order. In all, the bike was there for 18 days... I am glad I have it back.
I don't KNOW, just seems sensible. Head gasket replacement would imply a serious problem. And, if they did and it is not sealing, you might even get a whistle. I'd take it back, comment it whistles, ask if they adjusted the belt and establish exactly what gasket they changed.

This 18 day thing is crazy to me. It comes from the assumption that the bike is just a toy and you travel by car. I would utterly freak out if the dealer wanted my bike for 18 days to do a service. Over this side of the pond, it is ONLY Harley who pull this nonsense. In the US, do they all do it, or is it also just Harley?

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
My dealer says in my 9 out by 5 for normal service. Special parts order takes a second day.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
That is not a spec. I think he was just using that as an example.

Actual valve lash spec is not that wide of a range.

Intake .195mm-.245mm (.0078"-.0096")
Exhaust .295mm-.345mm (.0117"-.0135")

I normally use an inch angle feeler gauge and for the intake, set them so that .008" sides in and .009" does not. Then for the exhaust, .012" sides in .013" does not.

For what it's worth.
Thanks for clearing that up. Now at the dealership if the intake was at .0096 which is the outside edge of the acceptable range, they would make no adjustments but still charge you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts