Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I ran into an odd issue with my 2006 VRSCD.

Key on, turn on fuel pump, press start. I hear a "pop", gauge lights turn off. Sometimes the gauge flash backs on, press start pop will not happen again, only gauge turns off then back on.

I hoped it was a low voltage battery. Charged the battery.

Key on, fuel pump on, press start. I hear the "pop", gauge lights turn off, this time don't come back on.

Turn the key to off. The gauge is fluttering and seems to be cycling. I had to pull the master fuse.

My thoughts are that I have a short under the air box, but I would like to know if any of you ever encountered this before.

I should mention I have not started diagnosing yet, I am going to start later tonight.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi guys,

I ran into an odd issue with my 2006 VRSCD.

Key on, turn on fuel pump, press start. I hear a "pop", gauge lights turn off. Sometimes the gauge flash backs on, press start pop will not happen again, only gauge turns off then back on.

I hoped it was a low voltage battery. Charged the battery.

Key on, fuel pump on, press start. I hear the "pop", gauge lights turn off, this time don't come back on.

Turn the key to off. The gauge is fluttering and seems to be cycling. I had to pull the master fuse.

My thoughts are that I have a short under the air box, but I would like to know if any of you ever encountered this before.

Thanks in advance.
Check your ground connections and battery connections. That is typical of a bad or loose connection. Make sure both cyl head ground points are clean and tight and also the ground underneath from frame cross member to sump pan.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work Coastrider. You called that one. Loose negative on the battery.

I was over thinking it for sure, thanks for calling out the obvious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts