Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coasting in 2d today and the engine rev'd. I looked down and I was in neutral. I didn't think anything about it and pushed it back up to 2d and rode along.

My fiancee was riding her Honda Rebel starter bike with me. We stopped to eat and she said the same thing happened to her twice. We rode a bit more and when we got home, she said she had it again.

Is this a common occurrence?...low fluids?...any advice/input welcomed.

thanky...

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Sometimes, we shift a bit lazy, and it is not all the way in gear. I have had it happen, too, and got paranoid about it. Took everything apart, for nothing! It was operator (me) error. Unless it really acts up, just shift cleanly, and don't worry. Joe

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Sometimes, we shift a bit lazy, and it is not all the way in gear. I have had it happen, too, and got paranoid about it. Took everything apart, for nothing! It was operator (me) error. Unless it really acts up, just shift cleanly, and don't worry. Joe
:them:

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I suspect a bent shift fork or worn shift dog from rough upshifts. Eventually it will pop out of gear under power.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I suspect a bent shift fork or worn shift dog from rough upshifts. Eventually it will pop out of gear under power.
On both a V-Rod and a Honda rebel at the same time???????????????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oil Change?

My bike did that a couple times last month when I was in dire need of an oil change. It had never done it before and and it hasn't done it since (after I changed the oil). Maybe check/change the oil if you are coming up on the interval...just my experience.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was Sunday and we were relaxed. :eek:)

The Rebel got a full service about 900 miles ago. I think I'll go ahead and do the V, which was serviced just before I bought it about 1100 miles ago.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
That's what I was thinking ........for ANY explanation! :D

Does he ride his fiancee's Rebel as well? Same rider, same problem, just on a different bike? Just asking.
It is usually bad technique that causes these problems, and by the way, that sort of problem is far from unusual. It happens across all brands of bike. How many times have I watched people approach a red light, pull in the clutch lever and bang the gear box down three gears in rapid succession without ever blipping the throttle and releasing the clutch between shifts? Horrible technique, and very bad for the gearbox, but a common enough practice that the MSF does absolutely nothing to remedy in the NRC.
Shift gently up and down, match revs by blipping the throttle as you down shift and these problems generally do not happen.
A bike gear box falling out of gear usually is due to a bent or worn shift fork not fully engaging the next gear, or the dogs are worn from rough shifts allowing the bike to fall out of gear when the gear box is unloaded as the throttle is rolled off. If the abuse continues the dogs will not hold the bike in gear under power either, and the only remedy is a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
The problem could also be the shifter shaft needs adjusting to more suit the flexibility of his ankle joint.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have running boards and right now, there's not much room under the shifter. I'll look into that too.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Does he ride his fiancee's Rebel as well? Same rider, same problem, just on a different bike? Just asking.
It is usually bad technique that causes these problems, and by the way, that sort of problem is far from unusual. It happens across all brands of bike. How many times have I watched people approach a red light, pull in the clutch lever and bang the gear box down three gears in rapid succession without ever blipping the throttle and releasing the clutch between shifts? Horrible technique, and very bad for the gearbox, but a common enough practice that the MSF does absolutely nothing to remedy in the NRC.
Shift gently up and down, match revs by blipping the throttle as you down shift and these problems generally do not happen.
A bike gear box falling out of gear usually is due to a bent or worn shift fork not fully engaging the next gear, or the dogs are worn from rough shifts allowing the bike to fall out of gear when the gear box is unloaded as the throttle is rolled off. If the abuse continues the dogs will not hold the bike in gear under power either, and the only remedy is a rebuild.
Show me a BRC (NRC not officially being done here yet)that tells students to slam multiple downshifts without releasing the clutch and you will be looking at Ridercoaches that shouldn't be certified...

I personally talk to my students about blipping the throttle to match engine speed as an advanced technique other than SLOW releasing of the clutch during downshifts which accomplishes this as well.

The BRC is exactly as its titled BASIC RIDER COURSE and most people have a hard enough time absorbing all the stuff we put into their brains as it is much less adding advanced techniques into it.

As to the original post, yeah it sounds like lazy shifting to me to.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Same here, lazy shifting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts