Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Need a little help;
Solenoid chatters when I hit the start button.Already replaced battery and solenoid.Changed out relay with fan relay -no difference.Battery is brand new(from Advance Auto) and completely charged.All other functions ok(bright lights,etc...)
Now what?
:banghead:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the ground on the frame and it was tight.
Hit starter button and same thing; solenoid clicking away.
Guess I'll take my chances with my local dealer.

·
The Hawk
3,803 Posts
A good way to test and see if it is the solenoid is to put the bike in nuetral, turn the run switch to run, and using a pair of all steel pliers, jump the 2 large wire lugs across the solenoid by touching each plier handle to each lug at the same time, there will be a few sparks fly and as soon as it starts pull the jumper off. If it cranks and starts then your solenoid is bad. You can also use a piece of heavy duty wire too.

Mike

·
The Hawk
3,803 Posts
If it does not crank when you jump the solenoid then you either have a weak battery, a bad starter or a seized engine. Test the battery voltage at the battery posts and again at the solenoid to make sure the connections are good, voltage should be above 12, preferably around 12.5 or 12.6 volts. If that tests OK, then it is probably the starter. Or, worst scenario of all, your motor is seized up and won't turn over. You can pull the cover on the alternator side cover and turn the engine with a large socket and breaker bar, just be sure to only turn it in a counter clockwise direction as you look at it from the alternator side, or engine damage can result.

Mike

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Bump start it? Or is that a problem with EFI bikes?

Assuming you have checked the voltage, and now you've bypassed the solenoid, sounds like your starter motor has handed in its dinner pail :-(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked voltage and it's around 12 volts.So, I guess it's off to my dealer for a new starter.
Bike doesn't have but 3000 on it and I am the only owner.
This sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The sol chattering tells you there is a problem of voltage to it. If the sol was good and had good power it would click one time as it engages and thats it, if you get a chatter noise you have a connection or power problem.

If you are careful and have a good cable some place you can go straight from the battery to the lug on the starter. It will tell you if the starter motor is good or bad very quick, but be careful not to ground the cable on anything.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Check your connections to the solenid. Those have been known to rattle loose. Check your battery connections too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess What?
The Friggin' Battery Was Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brand New And Off The Shelf!
The Dealer Put It On Their Tester And 3 Volts!!!!!!!!!!!
So, They Installed A New One And My Baby's Back!!!!!!!
I'm Taking The Old One Back And Getting My Money Back!!!!!!!!!!1
Thanks For All Suggestions.
Oh, By The Way, My Charger Said The Battery Was Fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are you running a Battery Tender to charge the battery? I can't see why it would say it's OK? Better have your charger looked at too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, i was running a tender, but I took it off to start diagnosing the problem.I will reinstall it when I get my baby home.
I was also charging with a nascar approved home charger(what a joke).
Thanks, again for all the help!!!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
pclayrod said:
Yep, i was running a tender, but I took it off to start diagnosing the problem.I will reinstall it when I get my baby home.
I was also charging with a nascar approved home charger(what a joke).
Thanks, again for all the help!!!
Hopefully the tender isn't sucking the life out of the battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts