Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, planning to get my '05 CVO to the dyno in the next weeks after installing the Comp pipe and planning more performance mods in the future. Is it possible and worth to install O2 sensors on my bike? My tuner at the moment is the old Race Tuner I'm actually starting to drag race as a hobby but it will still be a street bike, btw I ride the bike for approx 60 miles to get to the track. Any help will be much appreciated!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
This is how they custom tune the bike.

The tuner will put the O2 sensor in the front port and tune it to desired AFR

Then put the O2 sensor in the rear port and tune it to desired AFR.

If you want the most out of what you got then this is a must.

Warning: Do not go and start chasing the numbers it will cost you plenty. lol

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:them:
installing O2 sensors on your bike in its current configuration will have zero benefit for you. If you decide to install a tuner/fueler that uses the O2 sensors, then that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
installing O2 sensors on your bike in its current configuration will have zero benefit for you. If you decide to install a tuner/fueler that uses the O2 sensors, then that's a different story.

Narrow band switching type sensors are all the factory ECU is going to see anyway.

Replacement ECU's (TMax - YECH!, TwinTec) with autotune add-ons will see wideband O2's. Piggybacks (PCV's, etc.) will see them with their add-on autotune modules also.

A majority of aftermarket ECU's/Piggybacks use the Bosch sensors, which are great - but beware - if your bike came with bungs installed (factory pipes), you're going to have to bend the rear pipes bung rearward, to keep the sensor from jamming into the block. GET IT DONE when you go to install your sensor - so you only have to pull the pipe once. Front one R&R's on the bike, back one you pretty much have to pull the pipe to get the longer sensor in.

Before - OUCH!

After - Ahhhhhh...

Regards,

Rick

·
Live Free Or Die
330 Posts
This is how they custom tune the bike.

The tuner will put the O2 sensor in the front port and tune it to desired AFR

Then put the O2 sensor in the rear port and tune it to desired AFR.

If you want the most out of what you got then this is a must.

Warning: Do not go and start chasing the numbers it will cost you plenty. lol
How do they do this with a 2:1 exhaust?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
The map is switched from base single to advanced and tune seperate.

base map is just a sniffer in the pipe and making changes to the map that feed the ecm info for both cylinders.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank u guys. So in my case my bike don't have them from the factory (2005) and my tuner/fueler is NOT an autotune device, Then the sensors will work for dyno/tuning purposes only? the ECM will not "use" them while actually operating while riding?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
correct...08 and up

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Thank u guys. So in my case my bike don't have them from the factory (2005) and my tuner/fueler is NOT an autotune device, Then the sensors will work for dyno/tuning purposes only? the ECM will not "use" them while actually operating while riding?
Dyno tune will use an "in-the-ass-pipe" O2 sniffer (or if your tuner is real conscientious) there's a mini-sniffer that goes further up towards the exhaust port (and hence is more accurate) - you pop a small hole in (an innocuous part of)the pipe, tune, then seal it with a pop-rivet type of sealer (see SE tools part of the catalog for this tool). In the case of 2-1's, you would have (or weld) a bung in the header pipe, close to the exhaust port - to monitor both cylinders individually.

The narrow-band switching type O2's, compensate for a much narrower range of adjustment. A "mildly mod'd" bike can probably run pretty well in the range of these sensors. A mid to highly mod'd bike , especially in widely varying temperatures, humidity & altitude won't run as well (or even like crap) hence the market for add-on tuners or ECU replacements with wide-band O2's

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
just buy a new header pipe with the bungs already in the pipe.

you can find a use set at a pretty good price.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Good stuff here, good luck on your racing Fabster... I had the same problem on the Trask where the rear bung was not directed rewardly enuff... Had to heat it up and bend it a lil to clear the rear head...

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot for the help! As for the sensor bungs I have the Indy pipe already installed and it has them. Let's see how it goes, Regards!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts