Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been staring at my new Rinehart 2-1. Should get off my butt and weld in some O2 sensor bungs so I can swap out my exhaust. So I guess I need to pick up a couple of new bungs....

Some time ago I remember reading something in a thread about bungs that place the sensors at a 10 deg angle to exhaust flow. There was even a link to someplace to get pre-angled bungs. I thought I'd bookmarked it, but apparently not.

Can anyone comment on the 10 degree thing? Is this supposed to give a more accurate reading or is it more of a 'turbonator' voodoo thing? Any reason to bother?

Second: about how much are a the sensors themselves? How often should I replace them?

BTW: I run the VRFI-D (and am quite happy with it!)

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
haha... I think Youngzee might have something to say here.

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
TexasV-Rod said:
haha... I think Youngzee might have something to say here.
I can't comment on the 10 degree part, but just make sure you do them yourself and get them placed correct or you'll have 2 sets of bungs in your pipe.:soapbox:

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Youngzee said:
I can't comment on the 10 degree part, but just make sure you do them yourself and get them placed correct or you'll have 2 sets of bungs in your pipe.:soapbox:
Don't ask him how he knows :D

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Youngzee said:
Thanks - I did the first set myself... just did a lot of measuring and mocking up before I drilled

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Thanks - I did the first set myself... just did a lot of measuring and mocking up before I drilled
Yeah that's what I should have done. Figured I could trust a shop that is supposed to specialize in V Rods and said they have done them plenty of times before.

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
If you get rid of your old headers, I'll take them. I'm planning on going Twinscan II+ this spring, or maybe even Christmas.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
The whole "bung" word in this thead....along with pipes..bungs and pipes...pipes and bungs..is REALLY creeping me out!!!!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
parkus said:
If you get rid of your old headers, I'll take them. I'm planning on going Twinscan II+ this spring, or maybe even Christmas.
Thanks - that would actually put you in line behind Kerri and some others... :) but I've decided to keep my stock headers/D&D slip-ons in case I need them down the road (compliance?)

Drilling/placing the sensor bungs is pretty simple - and you can have them welded in place at any muffler shop. Just make sure to chase the threads with a tap after welding.

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
It seems that after reading Jan-Dirk's article, he placement of the sensors may be a little more difficult. 10 to 2 o'clock. Even harley doesn't do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts