Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NTSB News

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 11 , 2007 SB-07-44

NTSB RECOMMENDS LEGLISLATION TO MANDATE ALL MOTORCYCLISTS USE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION FMVSS 218-COMPLIANT HELMETS

Washington, DC-The National Transportation Safety Board today issued recommendations to states to require all motorcyclists and their passengers to wear Department of Transportation Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218-compliant helmets.

Currently, only 20 states, the District of Columbia, and 4 territories have universal helmet laws requiring all riders to wear a helmet. Twenty-seven states and 1 territory have partial laws that require minors and/or passengers to wear such helmets. Three states have no helmet laws.

"The facts are very clear- head injuries are a leading cause of deaths in motorcycle crashes," said NTSB Chairman Mark V. Rosenker. "The most important step riders can take in terms of protecting themselves and staying alive is to wear a DOT- compliant helmet every time they ride."

Read entire press release here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2007/091107b.htm

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I understand "freedom of choice" and all that, being raised in S.C. and living in CT. for 9yrs. the helmet was optinal, but not for me. I feel naked without it. Kinda like leaving the house without my wallet, I know something missing. I know about ABATE, and ranking Officials in DC. fighting for "let those that ride decide", but I have a hard time with getting a traffic ticket for not wearing my seatbelt (HATE those things) and a biker passing me pulled over not wearing a helmet. Just makes no sense to me.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Karl Scott said:
Here we go.....
Well, hopefully not. Regardless of what side of this issue you stand, complaining about it or voicing your support here does next to nothing. If it is your NTSB, then you need to voice your feelings to those who can make a difference; elected officials who will vote either yes or no on the creation of a national law.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Even though I think anyone who doesnt wear one doesnt have much to protect, I think it is their right to choose.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
EZE RIDER said:
Even though I think anyone who doesnt wear one doesnt have much to protect, I think it is their right to choose.

Ah, but if they have nothing up top to protect how do they make a good choice?

(LOL, running for cover, "weeeee, Mummy, look out the window at what I did! It's gonna be preeeeetty)

·
The Anti-Chrome
872 Posts
I have no choice about wearing or not wearing one due to my military affiliation, not to mention the fact I've had a few close friends from the squadron that are only here because they had a helmet on when they were in an accident.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karl Scott said:
Ah, but if they have nothing up top to protect how do they make a good choice?

(LOL, running for cover, "weeeee, Mummy, look out the window at what I did! It's gonna be preeeeetty)

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Isn't this the same as when they made seat belts mandatory? People bitc#ed and moaned but it happened anyway. Now, most people just automatically put them whether they are inconvenienced or not. Sure people don't wear them, but they might get caught eventually and get ticketed, or they get smeared in a wreck.

The same might happen with helmets. We'll bitc# and moan and eventually, we'll just get used to it. I don't care if you do or not. You might be able to get away with not wearing one, but if you wreck and you don't have one, well...maybe you'll get lucky, maybe you won't.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
:popcorn

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

:box :karate :bat :whack: :guns

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Sometimes no helmet will work, well for keeping it on one place.

Photo was removed !

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Now I'm gonna have to buy a DOT patch for my Bandana! :rofl:

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
"The facts are very clear- head injuries are a leading cause of deaths in motorcycle crashes," said NTSB Chairman Mark V. Rosenker. "The most important step riders can take in terms of protecting themselves and staying alive is to wear a DOT- compliant helmet every time they ride."
........said the guy who doesn't ride

·
Registered
143 Posts
rjrivero said:
Now I'm gonna have to buy a DOT patch for my Bandana! :rofl:

Nice... beat me to it.

·
RICK
648 Posts
This nation was founded on freedom, in which we lose more of everyday.
Let those who ride decide, not the goverment official or politician that has never rode a motorcycle in his life. I truly enjoy riding without a bucket on my head. Its funny how somebody will ctiticize people for not wearing helmets, but you never hear one saying"Look at the dumbass with the helmet on!" It should be our choice! Leave us alone GOV!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Lil I disagree, I think the leading cause of death for motorcycle riders in the DFW metroplex anyway is cagers on cell phones. I think a ban on cell phones while driving would do more to protect bikers then helmet laws would. :)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts