Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals,

I posted the following in the exhaust forum, but it did not get a lot of views. Even though the one person that responded is probably correct, I wanted to see if anybody else has experienced this. Just to be sure I don't end up paying big money to the HD dealer for an easy fix or maybe a 'common' problem that other DX riders have had.

"To all,

Recently I have noticed that my header pipes and 3rd volume changed colors into a shiny blue with orange/brownish outline.
Now before everybody jumps in and says "use the search function"... ,I have.

Here is what I don't understand. My bike performs without sputtering (once it's warmed up), it has the occasional pops during engine braking, but no stalls or roughness and the pipes were always in the same chrome/steel shine that I bought the bike with (header and aux volume). The color change has only recently occurred, without any changes in configuration. I have the 2008 VRSCDX with stock pipes, but V&H Black widow slip on's. According to the seller the EFI has the stage 1 download on it (which should counter the slip on's). Otherwise the bike is stock. The only thing that happened in the last month, is that the temperature in N Texas has risen to over 100 Degr F daily in the last 4 weeks.

can the outside temp be the reason for the sudden color change?
Shouldn't the O2 sensors take care of environmental changes?

I have read that blue headers are common, BUT is this still the case when the aux volume is also almost completely blue?

Thx"

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
The stage 1 download is designed to work with the Screaming Eagle exhaust. How it interacts with other mfgrs exhaust is anyone's guess. It may be "good enough" or it may not.

The 02 sensors will assist the ECM in making minor adjustments but may not be able to compensate for a wholesale exhaust change.

The only real way to be sure your bike is properly tuned is to get it on a dyno and have the A/F ratio checked out. Canned maps are just to get you in the ball park.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have an 07 with the Widow slip on’s with a decent change in the header as well. Have you done a plug check since the change. If the stage 1 down load isn't right the plugs check should show if you are rich or lean. I believe if its too lean it will run hot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 07 DX was stock except for gutted shorty "thermos cans" when we rode to Sturgis in 08 and it was 100 plus from West Texas till we got to Nebraska and then on the return trip as well. I am sure it was running a little lean too. Upon returning I did my own modding on the third volume to fab a two into one system. When I took it apart I did not see any discoloration on the third volume - until the chop saw was applied. Don't rely on what previous owner said - do what Rusty said.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys.

What I am gonna do for now is. Put the stock mufflers on, have the dealer flash the ecm back to stock and have the check the a/f ratio then. if that all goes well, I will try to get the retrofit pwr cmd v from fuelmoto (if they ever answer my email). Hopefully that time and money will work (I guess i'll never know, since it will not change color back to chrome).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
FYI... My exhaust (and bike) were all stock and turned blue all the way to the muffler clamps in one month of summer on mine before I got my new exhaust put on and got it tuned. Now on my new pipes my discoloration is more "standard" down just a bit of pipe pipe instead of all he way to the end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts