Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm pulling into Chic fila and smell something burning, but don't think twice. I go inside and eat lunch. When I'm leaving I turn my ingnition switch on and that burning smell comes back even worse. I look down and I have heavy smoke coming from the bottom of my frame. I immediately turn the bike off and the smoke completely stops. I get off the bike and look all over but I can't find anything that looks burnt. While standing off the bike I turn the ignition switch back on and the smoke comes back immediately. When I look down I see behind the exhaust the rear brake switch is on fire ( not kidding it had three inch flames coming from it. I hurried to turn the ignition off. Now when I look at the brake switch where the two wires hook in, it is completly black and melted. Now what do I do? Well I'm two hours from home with NO tools. So I unplug the melted wires and ride to Man O War HD in Lexington, Ky about 20 minutes away. They have the brake switch in stock and agree to put it on. I'm very grateful since it is Saturday about 4:00 in the afternoon. The service guy and the mechanic had never seen anything like it and really don't believe me when I tell them it had flames coming from it. The mechanic believes it just got hot from my CFR pipe but the Service manager thinks someting grounded. I've had the CFR pipe on the bike for about 7000 miles now so I'm a little skeptical that the CFR caused it but i really don't know. I'm a little upset that a $20 part cost me $65 to install but that's usually what happens when your out of town. I am extremely pleased with the service dept at Man O War HD for helping me out though. Anybody have any ideas on why a brake light switch would catch on fire?????

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think somehow Brake fluid is seeping or making it's way into these switches and causing a good bit of the failures most just fail but hey if it shorts and it has even just a coating of fluid then you get fire .

I haven't really looked into it as I haven't had it with my D but hey who knows

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
They have the ignition switch in stock and agree to put it on.
I sure hope this is a mistake.

One day,someone is going to get hurt real bad from these brake switches.I relocated the one on my 03.
Why is it,when these issues are brought to the dealerships,they always tell the vehicle owner that this is the only instance,when they know damned good and well these switches fail,and throttles automatically accelerate the vehicle?
The sad part about this is,Harley-Davidson is so broke they cannot afford to fix the problem.This is a good thing for them,because they won't have any money to pay the law suits.
I am getting so tired of these very large corporations lying and weaseling out of their responsibility.
There is a poor bastard doin time in a Minn.prison over the Toyota throttle pedal issue.
How many more innocent people have been denied their freedom,or compensation while the coat&ties are off in the distance laughing their way to the bank.

Take a look here http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89146

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Ford just did a major recall job with the same kind of switch fitted to turn off the cruise control. They would leak and get hot, then burn. F150s, minivans, cars etc, all effected.
What was wrong with the switch pulled with a spring? I never had a problem with them.

·
james
601 Posts
So I'm pulling into Chic fila and smell something burning, but don't think twice. I go inside and eat lunch. When I'm leaving I turn my ingnition switch on and that burning smell comes back even worse. I look down and I have heavy smoke coming from the bottom of my frame. I immediately turn the bike off and the smoke completely stops. I get off the bike and look all over but I can't find anything that looks burnt. While standing off the bike I turn the ignition switch back on and the smoke comes back immediately. When I look down I see behind the exhaust the rear brake switch is on fire ( not kidding it had three inch flames coming from it. I hurried to turn the ignition off. Now when I look at the brake switch where the two wires hook in, it is completly black and melted. Now what do I do? Well I'm two hours from home with NO tools. So I unplug the melted wires and ride to Man O War HD in Lexington, Ky about 20 minutes away. They have the ignition switch in stock and agree to put it on. I'm very grateful since it is Saturday about 4:00 in the afternoon. The service guy and the mechanic had never seen anything like it and really don't believe me when I tell them it had flames coming from it. The mechanic believes it just got hot from my CFR pipe but the Service manager thinks someting grounded. I've had the CFR pipe on the bike for about 7000 miles now so I'm a little skeptical that the CFR caused it but i really don't know. I'm a little upset that a $20 part cost me $65 to install but that's usually what happens when your out of town. I am extremely pleased with the service dept at Man O War HD for helping me out though. Anybody have any ideas on why a brake light switch would catch on fire?????
did it actually cause the ignition switch to fail or is this a mistype...

·
Midwest Pimp
3,106 Posts
This has to be corrected by Harley Davidson before someone dies.

Mine went out as I was riding down Telegraph up to a stop light...Thank God it wasn't an emergency stop situation or even a regular stop..I was coasting up to the red light and noticed I had no rear brakes...I use my rear brakes more than the front... I at least had front brakes, but for how long. The cylinder caps are peeling and bubbling....
The brake fluid is eating through the plastic and this is NOT uncommon. If you have an 06 or later v-rod. I suggest you check your switch immediately...Here is what mine looks like...

And Harley, instead of spending all your money shutting down or changing web sites that promote,influence, and help your company....SPEND THE MONEY AND FIX THESE SWITCHES BEFORE SOMEONE DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure hope this is a mistake.

One day,someone is going to get hurt real bad from these brake switches.I relocated the one on my 03.
Why is it,when these issues are brought to the dealerships,they always tell the vehicle owner that this is the only instance,when they know damned good and well these switches fail,and throttles automatically accelerate the vehicle?
The sad part about this is,Harley-Davidson is so broke they cannot afford to fix the problem.This is a good thing for them,because they won't have any money to pay the law suits.
I am getting so tired of these very large corporations lying and weaseling out of their responsibility.
There is a poor bastard doin time in a Minn.prison over the Toyota throttle pedal issue.
How many more innocent people have been denied their freedom,or compensation while the coat&ties are off in the distance laughing their way to the bank.

Take a look here http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89146
Yep a mistake.... should say "brake switch".

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Ford just did a major recall job with the same kind of switch fitted to turn off the cruise control. They would leak and get hot, then burn. F150s, minivans, cars etc, all effected.
What was wrong with the switch pulled with a spring? I never had a problem with them.
This happened to me in 2000, before the recall. Luckley I was pulling into the alley of my home when the part failed and reacted fast to use the emergency brake. Otherwise, me, the truck and my racecar on the trailer would have ended up in a drainage culvert at the end of the alley. When the part failed, it sprayed brake fluid directly on the exhaust which caused a lot of smoke and fire. I'm glad I had a fire extinguisher hanging on the car hauler. Ford did not have a fix or recall for this at the time. Autozone and my wrench did.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Mine went out as I was riding down Telegraph up to a stop light...Thank God it wasn't an emergency stop situation or even a regular stop..I was coasting up to the red light and noticed I had no rear brakes...I use my rear brakes more than the front... I at least had front brakes, but for how long. The cylinder caps are peeling and bubbling....
The brake fluid is eating through the plastic and this is NOT uncommon. If you have an 06 or later v-rod. I suggest you check your switch immediately...Here is what mine looks like...

And Harley, instead of spending all your money shutting down or changing web sites that promote,influence, and help your company....SPEND THE MONEY AND FIX THESE SWITCHES BEFORE SOMEONE DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes exactly!!! Ony your pictures you can still see the two plugs. When mine caught fire it was completely melted into one "glob". Nice pics !!!

·
Midwest Pimp
3,106 Posts
Yes exactly!!! Ony your pictures you can still see the two plugs. When mine caught fire it was completely melted into one "glob". Nice pics !!!
I just called HD customer service and spoke to Debbie. She sent me an e-mail to reply my concerns and pictures of the failed switch. I also refered to this website for a source of additional failed switch complaints to make them aware that this is not an isoated incident....
We'll see what happens.....

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I just called HD customer service and spoke to Debbie. She sent me an e-mail to reply my concerns and pictures of the failed switch. I also refered to this website for a source of additional failed switch complaints to make them aware that this is not an isoated incident....
We'll see what happens.....
Nothing will happen.
In fact,if the phone call was recorded,and her superiors actually do listen to the conversation,she will get and ass chewing and possibly loose her job for making more people aware of this situation that is going to cost money.
The Harley-Davidson company could care less if your motorcycle is fixed or not.All the coat&tie people care about is cutting expenses that dip into their bonus money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I look down I see behind the exhaust the rear brake switch is on fire ( not kidding it had three inch flames coming from it
I had the same thing happen and they didnt believe me either

·
Registered
361 Posts
The real way to get this addressed is to submit a complaint to NHTSA. When they get several of them they will contact H-D and start asking questions. NHTSA is under a lot heat right now for the way they let Toyota slide for so long on the throttle and pedal recall issue so any safety issues they see growing are getting a lot of attention.

·
Feeling lost
998 Posts
Maybe the threat of a class action law suite will make them wake up and admit to the problem as well as offer a fix. Seems like the only way to get the Mo Co's attention is to grab their wallet these days.

·
Rip it up!
301 Posts
My rear brake switch went on me just last week. ????? At least, I now know why.

·
Tragic Pessimist?
2,205 Posts
+1

I've replaced myswitch once...(actually my dealer replaced it).

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
well if my switch craps out i sure wont be replaceing it with the same hd unit.ill get a better one from a auto/ brake parts store.

·
james
601 Posts
mine is broke for the second time in four months... its been out for a couple weeks... state inspection coming up in a month and a half and waiting on the accel switch in the mail...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts