Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each fork leg of my Street Rod have been apart twice. The right leg developed a leak where the slider screws into the lower casting, the left leg recently had a fork seal replaced and both legs were apart a year and a half ago chasing a clunking sound. Only one Harley Davidson dealer has performed the fork work and I have never taken them apart at home.

Today I had the bike at the Race Tech shop in Corona to have them install new fork springs and a gold valve in the cartridge of the left leg, the right leg has no damping on male slider forks. The tech came back and asked me to follow him to the shop. The hex head of the fork cap on the right leg was badly deformed and he was having a very tough time getting it to unscrew. When he finally unscrewed the cap, this is what we found. Now I get to have fun negotiating with the dealer. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
F'ing amatures!
Sorry to hear about that - stuff like that totally pisses me off. The tech knew that he FUBAR'd that when he attempted to re-install it!

Yet another reason to buy the manual and attempt to be handy - I try to NEVER bring my vehicles to a dealership for service unless absolutely necessary (or warranty coverage)!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Lets hope they own up to it they will probably say the next person who touched it did the damage,all to familiar words,I hate to say. Go pepared to the max with these FIDIOTS at the Dealer.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got off the phone with the service manager at Antelope Valley HD. He went out of his way to apologize and wasn't at all happy to have another shop see bad work coming from their shop. They will order the parts probably today and schedule the bike in as soon as the parts arrive to repair it.

The interesting thing to me is the only tech who has worked on my bike's forks was their oldest and most experienced tech. The dude was working on motorcycles before I finished high school, and I'm no youngster. I do most of my own work and have most of the factory tools, but I haven't yet set up a work bench adequate for fork disassembly, and with the ESP I have been happy to let them fix things when they break. That's why I bought the ESP.

A word to the wise. I was very low key about this. I have been in this dealership where customers were leaning over the service writer's counter to scream at them about this or that mistake. The service writer didn't mess their bike up, sometimes the customer brought them a POS and expects black magic to happen, but they take it out on them anyway. I've been on the other side of that counter and know what that's like. I never raise my voice and, so far at least, they have responded with good service. They kept a customer.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
IThey will order the parts probably today and schedule the bike in as soon as the parts arrive to repair it.

The interesting thing to me is the only tech who has worked on my bike's forks was their oldest and most experienced tech.
New outer tube and cap will fix it up.

Have you thought about adding a cartridge to the damper leg? I didn't explore this until after I had Race Tech do their thing. The inner leg will unscrew from the axle carrier (no set screw, use heat to soften the thread lock compound). It can then be drilled for a cartridge or you can do the anodizing / powder coating.

It is surprising that an experienced person (even if he had zero V-rod time) would make this mistake. Stuff happens.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
As long as they make it right they would keep my business. Even good mechs f'up once in a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts