Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up in a discussion today. Instead of keeping your left foot on the ground when mounting the bike, is it okay to stand on the footpeg when you swing your other leg over? Will the jiffy stand support the weight?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I wouldn't personally. The V-Rod "jiffy" stand is pretty janky when it's in pristene, new condition and only gets worse with age.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
you can, but why would you want to?
I often sit on the bike while the jiffy stand is down, but never felt the need or urge to step on the forward controls' foot peg and then swinging my leg over.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had the guy who change my front wheel jack my bike with a jack on the jiffy I freaked and yes there wonky at best, everytime I park it i pray it holds up...

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The materials are strong enough to hold thousands of pounds I'm sure, all steel. It's the manner that it "locks" that disturbs me.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
yup it never quite sits locked and it makes me paranoid if i park it and its windy or something...

Oh and like asked above WHY would you do that with forward control??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I know I wouldn't just as others have stated it's shaky at best. I even went as far as getting a wheel chock floor mounted so it's not on it when bike is in the Garage .

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the purpose would to allow more height to swing your leg over luggage

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the purpose would to allow more height to swing your leg over luggage
then you're doing it wrong... With luggage present, would it not be easier to "side step" over the seat instead of swinging the leg over 3' of luggage?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah simply bend your knee and twist on over the seat. That or practice your high kicks! LOL

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
You know you are a stud when you can get the bike rolling with only your left foot on the left foot peg and swing the right leg over the saddle as the bike is rolling. An old room mate would do this with his R-100GS, just for the heck of it, and it is how Gaston Rahier would mount the stupendously tall R-90GS race bike used in the Paris to Dakar races he competed in back in the 1980's. Rahier was only 5' 6"" and the bike's gas tank is chest high to me and I'm 6' tall!

http://www.dhpmoto.com/Trips/Baja Dec 2000/touratech/rahier.jpg

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Take the car. JUnp in through the window Duke Boy style if you like.

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
My ass has puckered more than once when getting off my bike with my kickstand down and it "rolls" forward a 1/2 inch....I'm just waiting for that jiffy to snap.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
If you worry about a V-Rod side stand then don't ever buy a Ducati or an old BMW twin. Both have treacherous spring loaded side stands that have to be deployed with the rider off the bike and standing along side it, otherwise they snap back when you think it is down. Compared to other bikes I'v owned in the past, I think the side stand of my R is as good as they get. Only some old Moto Guzzi's might have a better stand.

·
Dean
775 Posts
yup it never quite sits locked and it makes me paranoid if i park it and its windy or something...

Oh and like asked above WHY would you do that with forward control??
I am with you. When I get off the bike....I look at it for a few seconds...just to make sure it is not moving. Then I SLOWLY back away!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts