Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 22 year old nephew died last week in a bike accident. Cause of death severe head trauma. He was wearing a novelty helmet. It didn’t help. Georgia has a helmet law but doesn’t require them to be DOT approved. Doesn’t make much sense to have useless laws on the books but I’m sure this is just one of many.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm sorry your nephew has died.
When I was 17yo,our friend,Robert hit a horse on a small bridge and he skidded out of control while wearing a proper helmet.He skid a long distance on his back.The helmet was worn so far that it chewed almost a 1/4 of the back of his head off and he died.
I just wanted to tell this story about Robert to let you know that there is no such thing as an ultimate piece of protection equipment,and that I can relate to your anger of loosing a person involved in your life.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
very sorry for your loss.... My thoughts and prayers are with his family

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Sorry to hear about your nephew.

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
So sorry to hear about your nephew. Prayers to you and your family at this time of sadness.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for you thiughts a prayers. It's appreciated alot.

I know there isn't a 100% full proof safety device, but in this case there was a pretty good chance it would have made a differance. No way to ever know but it has definitely
change my mind about ridimg without a helmet or using a novelty helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

I agree completely. I started of with no helmet when I rode, to a half and then a 3/4 helmet...getting my first full face this week.

Not sure why they wouldn't require the helmet to be DOT if they went to the trouble of getting it enacted...seems like it defeats the purpose...

Ride safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm definitely sorry to hear about your loss.

Novelty helmets suck period! There is a sticker inside them that says they are not made for riding purposes? WTF? Then why make them?

I guess they are a way to bypass the law, but you might as well not even waste your money on one.

I used to wear one, but then I got my priorities straight.

This is a topic that is always brings about a heated debate.

Helmet or no helmet is not the issue for me, but if you are going to wear one, buy a good one.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Very sorry for your loss - my condolences to you and your family.

Agree 100% about novelty helmets.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
condolences sent.. and i agree why wear one if it isn't DOT approved..

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Not sure why they wouldn't require the helmet to be DOT if they went to the trouble of getting it enacted...seems like it defeats the purpose...Ride safe.
it keeps the LEOs from trying to enforce and become experts on DOT vs non DOT lids. If they made it DOT only, then the LEO could pull you over because he "thought" your lid was not DOT.

No one should wait for or rely on a law to enlist common sense for them. We all know the risks of this activity that we enjoy so much, but when you ride without a lid or with a lid that tells you in bold print that it is for Novelty purposes only, it displays blatant disregard for each and every one of your loved ones.
Worst case scenario for you is that you get mangled and disabled, worst case scenario for our loved ones is that we die or become veggies.

·
333/1200 1/2 da evil
28 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Again I am sorry for your loss.
But out of interest, I have always wondered.
Do you pay higher motorcycle insurance if you don’t wear an approved helmet?
Or do you take extra medical insurance?
Over here it’s the law, you must have an approved helmet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.