Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read up and down that a tuner is needed when changing pipes and filter or running topless etc. I was just doing some research on the closed loop system and how it works because I don't really like the fact that the PCV bypasses the o2 sensors. From what I have read on a couple different sites makes it sound like if the bike was running too lean by making these mods, it would throw a code. The Closed loop system will compensate over time to mods such as these just like it would when driving at high altitude etc.

My question for the more experienced people here is, am I correct in that assessment? Will the ECU throw a code if too lean of a state is hit? If so, couldn't you just go with no tuner and let the bike make the adjustment? It sound like it would take a couple 100 miles or so to dial in, but once it is there it should be good.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
No!!

If we could make these changes without a tuner don't you think we would have save the money for other mods ? :)

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
The closed loop system on the V-Rod is a narrow band system and has limited capabilities. You need a tuner.

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what I thought. Is it true that the ECU would throw a code if the mix was too lean?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
That is what I thought. Is it true that the ECU would throw a code if the mix was too lean?
I'm pretty sure the answer to that is a no.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
yes the ecm will set a lean code if the o2 sensors see the conditions needed to set a lean code.
i think your right, but when the ecm throws the lean condition code, its probably to late and the O2 sensor needs replacing. not necessarily meaning damage has been done to the engine, but well on its way.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Aside from the tuner, if he went with PCV with Autotune wouldn't that bring the O2 sensors into the loop also?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts