Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my problems started when I jump started my vrod. Rode it for a bit then I began to sputter out. If I stopped at a red light bike would die....I had to make it to the highway and gun it home.
Made it home and had oil spit out from throttle body area, bike sat for a week while I got battery.
Batrery was 7 years old so I replaced it,that was not it. So I replaced the voltage regulator, turned bike on, DTC p0108 came on immediately. So I replaced the MAP sensor.
Code literally came back on immediately.
I took bike for a ride with check engine light on and it ride fine but light is still there.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
236 Posts
MAP sensor high-
Ok it’s a 3 wire sensor. 1 wire is reference voltage from the ecm (5volts) 1 wire is sensor ground (thru the ecm) and the last is signal to the ecm. As manifold pressure changes (less vacuum = more load) the voltage on the signal wire changes. The ecm sets this when the signal voltage stays too high for too long. I’d be checking sensor ground for an open circuit/ broken wire.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I believe my problems started when I jump started my vrod. Rode it for a bit then I began to sputter out. If I stopped at a red light bike would die....I had to make it to the highway and gun it home.
Made it home and had oil spit out from throttle body area, bike sat for a week while I got battery.
Batrery was 7 years old so I replaced it,that was not it. So I replaced the voltage regulator, turned bike on, DTC p0108 came on immediately. So I replaced the MAP sensor.
Code literally came back on immediately.
I took bike for a ride with check engine light on and it ride fine but light is still there.
Any other ideas?
Before you do anything you should clear the code and make sure it is a current fault, although it sounds like it probably is if the light is staying on. Also make sure all your ground connections are clean and tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have cleared the code several times,(i push speedo in and hold until it says clear, then I turn bike to off)
Will do thank you guys for the responses. Will get back to you guys with what I find

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TI got in there and can’t seem to find anything broken or out of place. I have pulled a couple of plugs to give me better access. Some of the wires seem lightly soiled, some saturation, from when the bike spit up oil. @Ceigenberger anyway the saturated wires, plus the fact that the voltage regulator needed to be replaced possibly allowed to much voltage somewhere and fried something, although I have not yet noticed any melted or damaged looking wires or plastics?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Figured I’d add a couple pictures, can’t hurt.
Side note, I also sprayed wires and connections with QD electronic cleaner. As well as the sensor.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ok- mind you this is my 06... but- pin C at the sensor should measure 5v ignition on or running. Pin A should be a shared ground with the coolant temp sensor and measure very close to 0v Pin B should range between .5-4.5 volts depending on vacuum in the intake. If you have a Hand vacuum pump, remove the sensor, attach the end to the pump and measure voltage as you pump vac to it.
mall measurements are connectors plugged in, backprobe with a DVOM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will get in the garage on sunday and Follow your instructions step by step. Post #11 image could not be found, was that of importance?
@Ceigenberger thank you so much for your time and effort! I will keep you updated on the status of my bike.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
I hate when that happens.
the last pic was the rest of the trouble shooting chart. I can resend it Monday when I’m home, but it’s a simple circuit- see where you get, and best of luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts