Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SMOKE A FATTY!!!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a vmod chain drive kit put on by a local shop and I have to say the quality of it was poor. The first thing I noticed was the chain kept stretching way more than any chain I have ever used. I had to tighten it up 3 times in one day. I know they all have to be adjusted but not like this. It also was loud as hell and that's not right. So after 400 miles and no more adjustment I call the shop and they said they would take a link out and get a masterlink since this one was made to fit with masterlink. Well I couldn't wait for them so I ran over the the Honda dealer with my wore out chain and they asked what it came off of and I told them and they laughed. First off I never should have been shipped a non o-ring chain and second they could have shipped on that was at least silver and not Gold lol. So I got my new chain and went back to install it and for some reason I decided to check the front sprocket to see if the guys at vmod welded it square. Nope it was 1/8in off ( on a 4in sprocket may I add) and I got to looking at the ugly weld that looked like a teenager welded and it was cracked. So I had me dad come look, who is a machinest and he just turned his head and said this I poor quality and craftmanship. Then I decided to take the rear off and look at it. Well if the front is messed up that makes the back messed up. After I cleaned it you could really see how much it ate up the cheap sprocket and the bent teeth. So right now they are sendin new parts and I hope the quality is better than before. If they are as bad as before I'll have dad machine them from solid pieces and better material that before. It's also the shops fault for not checking these things as well. I paid a lot of money for this and so far I'm not happy! I feel better now thanks for letting me vent a little. I'll keep y'all posted

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
v mod made it right though, correct? do they "make" this product or are they just a dealer? it does make a difference.. if they built it i can see you being unhappy with them, if they are mearly a dealer and they stood behind it then i can't say they would be in the wrong.. hope you get it handled.. keep us posted

·
INCONCEIVABLE!
1,529 Posts
sucks you are having problems ... hope it works out

Just a little side question if I may ... what made you decide to go with a chain instead of the belt? You doing it stickly for looks or is there some other reason?

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Man that sucks. Can you put up some pics of what it looked like? Did you take pics.?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'm with Jedi on this one, and I'll take it one step further. Did the shop that did the install order and receive the shipment from VMOD?
If not, you can't really blame them for installing the parts you provided, irregardless of the quality. Hope you get it all squared away.

·
SMOKE A FATTY!!!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes the shop did the ordering and the install. i wanted the chain drive for looks and more gear options. and it is the shops fault for not checking the quality but vmod should check parts that they manufacture in there shop. they make the front sprocket from a aftermarket sprocket that they weld on to a piece that fits on the spline drive coming out of the motor. so yes they make the front in the shop.that i can blame on them, the rear is something they order and resale which in my book is not up to my standards. for the price they could order something of better quality that can with stand the torque. i tried to take a pic of the back sprocket but it was hard to see it in the pics and the front was just welded on sideways, plain and simple. it should have been checked before it was ever shipped. they are sending new parts and i guess im gonna put it back together. no since in bringing it to the shop since its tore apart in the garage. i will know more in a few days when the parts get to the shop

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would demand a full refund and call up PMFR. I couldnt be happier with them. I went with a destroyer front from them and a supersprox rear with a RK x-ring 530. If your dad is a machinist like me he'll figure out the rest.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
ChopperSteve is a member here and is the guy at Vmod. Shoot him a IM, he will make it right.
I've had some small issues with Steve. He will e-mail very quickly but always has a "reason" when something isn't right. I have to give a nuetral on my experiences with him. Being mechanically inclined and wrenching bikes since the 70's I felt some of his answers were of the "blow you off" variety.

Most parts he is simply the middle man but he does have a few things unique to VMod.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I started a thread containing all of the info that I gathered when I converted my bike to a 530. A bunch of members were interested, the only missing link was an adaptor for the rear sprocket>Cush drive. Anyway, don't count on as much gearing option as you might expect. The rear wheel has only so much tolerance for tension adjustment, so don't think that you are going to quick change rear sprockets and be all set. Check my thread' there is a link to a guy that makes forged front sprockets vrod specific.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I started a thread containing all of the info that I gathered when I converted my bike to a 530. A bunch of members were interested, the only missing link was an adaptor for the rear sprocket>Cush drive. Anyway, don't count on as much gearing option as you might expect. The rear wheel has only so much tolerance for tension adjustment, so don't think that you are going to quick change rear sprockets and be all set. Check my thread' there is a link to a guy that makes forged front sprockets vrod specific.

Has anyone tried Kosman? If I'm not mistaken they offer a cush for chain applications.

http://www.kosman.net/

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've had some small issues with Steve. He will e-mail very quickly but always has a "reason" when something isn't right. I have to give a nuetral on my experiences with him. Being mechanically inclined and wrenching bikes since the 70's I felt some of his answers were of the "blow you off" variety.

Most parts he is simply the middle man but he does have a few things unique to VMod.
+1

when i had a problem, it tooks weeks to get an acceptable response. only after i posted on the forum did they actually respond. of course, steve had never heard of it...but i had e-mail trails to back up my story

·
SMOKE A FATTY!!!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't personally talked with him I'm letting the shop to that. I just talked with them and they are gonna email pics of the sprockets. And your right nxrod09 you don't weld they together. I weld for a living and it is a no no. It should be a solid piece. I'm gonna tell the shop to do a little more research before it goes back on and ole dad is goin to give it a final look over as well. He did send a new Cush drive with the kit but I really don't even know what that does, guessing it's a cushion when I dump the clutch lol. I get the pics up tomorrow if the busy guys at the shop have time, you know how that goes. I'll call that other company and see what they have to offer. Thanks guys I'll keep u posted. Y'all are a big help

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just a side note. We have been running and selling the Regina o'ring chain for about 7 yrs, once they throw off the lube they are assembled with they are clean and basically maintenance free, and only stretch intially. and have never seen nor heard of one breaking, if the correct size for the application is followed. The RK seems to be just as good as well. Lastly the "Cheap Chains" are not only junk, but a shame it was even shipped.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.