Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a bunch of posts. I've had his behavior with stock bars and stock cables. Seems to be the same with aftermarket bars and Barnett cables.

If I turn half to full throttle, it snaps back closed, but I twist a little bit, it doesn't fully retract/close when I let go.

Throttle grip is lubed, throttle Cable housing is graphite lubed.

Normal? Idle Cable adjusted to the "best" setting I can find.

Thx!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
loosen throttle lock.loosen return cable some.adj pull cable until slight freeplay without binding then adj return until you get binding then loosen until binding ceases through bar travel from side to side.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried a few different ways. If I lengthen the throttle Cable I can get it to snap back at low throttle positions, but then the max it opens is like 75% which isn't good. Stoops.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Might not "snap" back with authority but it definitely should not stay open.

As suggested or already checked, lubricate, check all play and check the whole route for any abnormal pinches, kinks or bends.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
One thing not mentioned is cable adjustment. If you have the return cable too tight, it places enough tension in the system to stop or reduce the return. It should have a hair slack in it. If the grip assembly has been r&r at some point check to make sure it's not slipped on too far. This can cause the end of the bar to place pressure in the back side of the grip. Look for about 1/16 in and out free float on the throttle grip to rule that out.
As mentioned, lubed, tension wheel backed off, and no kinks or sharp bends in the routing. Test return at full left and full right on the bars.
Ron

·
VRSCF
1,265 Posts
Ive had this too and tried everything, or so I thought. Then dug out the manual and followed the throttle adjustment steps to the letter and got it perfect.

Pretty much as per post above with the screenshot

...it really is just a case of winding off all adjustment and do it from scratch as per the book. Also when you tighten the grip housing do it in order to correct torque on the screws

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it. The idle cable I think is too long. Its at its shortest length and I think I need to go shorter. Anything in the opposite direction and it doesn't return at all. I'll hope that vacuum at idle will help it close that last small percentage.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My 08 had this problem when I bought it used. One of the cable housings had come out of its home on the throttle body. I loosened the cables and put the end where it belongs. Readjusted per the book and all is well. Snaps shut immediately.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys - sort of embarrassed, but I think the issue is due to having the wrong cables. I have a 2011, so I ordered a 2011 set not thinking. I swapped out front end for 2012 which has 2" extra length. I think as soon as I get the new cables on I'll have enough adjustment available that I can properly adjust them. Stay tuned!!!

Anyone need barnett stealth cables???? Installed and never ridden!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: I got the new cables, but still had the same issue.

FIX: SILICONE SPRAY THE INSIDE OF THE CABLES

Unbelievable. These were so non-lubed that there was a squeak when twisting the throttle.

To my surprise when I tried the throttle this morning, it was smooth as butter and SNAPPED back for the first time in years of ownership!

It's amazing. Even though the cables are "lubricated" from the factory, apparently, they miss a few of them. I adjusted the cables, reassembled the housing and bam. Thing works great! The throttle never snapped back from the day I got it until now.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I used to hang my new cables or old cables and let the lube run down them over the days till time for install. A must on dirt bikes and that bled over to my street bike. Also did it with my pedal bikes. Found that cable lube worked better than some of the nifty "dry" lubes. They wouldnt stay wet long enough to lube the whole cable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys - sort of embarrassed, but I think the issue is due to having the wrong cables. I have a 2011, so I ordered a 2011 set not thinking. I swapped out front end for 2012 which has 2" extra length. I think as soon as I get the new cables on I'll have enough adjustment available that I can properly adjust them. Stay tuned!!!

Anyone need barnett stealth cables???? Installed and never ridden!

Do you still have the Barnett Stealth cables? I ordered what I thought was set off Amazon, but only one cable came. Damn. Do you have the part numbers for both cables available?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Throttle should always snap back closed if not - big trouble. Glad you saw it thru had this problem with mine combo of new grip too far inbd, throttle assy. too far inbd ,cables not adjusted, routed or lubed properly. Another M/C black art session to get it working right, fix it and you graduate from the school of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Congrats !

·
VRSCF
1,265 Posts
I remember messing about for ages with the throttle cable adjusters after getting a sticky cable and no real snap back when I change to a 3/4 aftermarket throttle tube and grips.

I resorted to reading the workshop manual instructions for how to adjust the throttle cables, followed the non intuitive instructions to the letter and strangely enough, it was perfect :)

Lesson learnt, dont think you know how to do something on your new different brand bike....RTFM first :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts