Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is really stupid but should I be able to hear the disc pads brushing the discs when i wheel the bike forwards and backwards?

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Yeah, mine did that for a few weeks...

New pads.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Yes... that's inherit in the type of brakes HD selected. Even with "mature" pads you still can hear the brushing sound on many bikes.

(Personal pet peeve of mine too)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers mate. Tonight coming home in a traffic jam I found the bike to not be as stable as normal in a straight line at slow speed - it may have been the road surface or the wind - I'm just checking off the options.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Soda said:
Cheers mate. Tonight coming home in a traffic jam I found the bike to not be as stable as normal in a straight line at slow speed - it may have been the road surface or the wind - I'm just checking off the options.
Tyre pressure?

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Tire pressure.
Cupping of the Dunop front tire.
Road texture.
Airflow from traffic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just checked them with digital guage - half an hour after riding and they are 39 rear and 34 front. and that's when they are still slightly warm. so front would seem a little low and rear would seem ok.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
put some air in the front and see if that helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Folks

Thanks a lot. I put the front up to the correct psi - just 2 more makes a noticeable difference at normal speeds.

I think (hope) the slow speed wobble (it was more of a weaving feeling) was down to a number of factors:

- some wind
- the road surface
- me very frustrated (I rode off from work and had to stop, answer my phone, then I rode off without my helmet strap done up so had to pull over which was on a slope to the right and then nearly dropped her - amazing how a small slope can cause that).
- being stuck in traffic (again) and feeling bad for my bike - which is brand new - being stuck in traffic.
- me staring at the front wheel whilst going slowly.
- my backpack being a bit loose and probably flopping around.

anyway, I'll see how it goes. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wobble

Hi Soda

I had that brake rubbing thing, it disappears after a while. Then at about 1500 miles you may get a weird oscillating noise from the drive belt. But that go's after 2000 miles. Apperantly it's just the Kevlar Belt settling in. When you get to 2500 it runs as sweet as a nut. Except for the white lines at slow speeds at Traffic Lights, when the fat tyres send you all over the place.
But I still love the Bike

Regards
Chancer

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Soda said:
Folks

Thanks a lot. I put the front up to the correct psi - just 2 more makes a noticeable difference at normal speeds.

I think (hope) the slow speed wobble (it was more of a weaving feeling) was down to a number of factors:

- some wind
- the road surface
- me very frustrated (I rode off from work and had to stop, answer my phone, then I rode off without my helmet strap done up so had to pull over which was on a slope to the right and then nearly dropped her - amazing how a small slope can cause that).
- being stuck in traffic (again) and feeling bad for my bike - which is brand new - being stuck in traffic.
- me staring at the front wheel whilst going slowly.
- my backpack being a bit loose and probably flopping around.

anyway, I'll see how it goes. :)
-Body Weight shifted to far to one side of the seat.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
My Dunlop front tire is cupped and I now have a slow speed wobble. Check over your front tire, I bet yours is cupped too.

·
Whig party
32 Posts
Kieron said:
Tyre pressure?
:eek:fftopic:
Do British people spell tire "Tyre"? I never knew. I knew they misspelled color but I never knew tire could be added to the list. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
:eek:fftopic:

Queen's English old chap.
One spells it "tyre".
You can also add "cheque" and not "check".

By George, I never realised just how serious your spelling problems had progressed - http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm

I think I better sit down and have a nice cup of tea, with possibly a crumpet or maybe a scone.
Dash it all, there does not appear to be any butter in the pantry.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Soda, combination of tyre pressure/profiles, crap road surface and sometimes just feeling not dialled in to the bike - happens to us all.

Change the tyres to Avons or Metz's some of the best money you will spend on the bike, a set of progressive springs in the front and you will think it is a different bike.

No doubt on the agenda for discussion in Calne!

Apprentice & Chancer are you coming Saturday?

Laters

Skin

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Skinbo said:
No doubt on the agenda for discussion in Calne!
Apprentice & Chancer are you coming Saturday?
I am planning on being there, weather permitting.

I am suppossed to go down to my 93 year old Gran's to check up on her (I go every other week), but I was going to bin that and go to the show.
Needless to say if the weather is iffy then my Gran wins.

I also mentioned it to Mac53

·
Whig party
32 Posts
Looking for a solution

I am curious, does Babel Fish translate that other version of American the British guys are using? I cant follow the thread any more.

"Shake and bake!" -Ricki Bobby

·
Registered
45 Posts
meabn007 said:
I am curious, does Babel Fish translate that other version of American the British guys are using? I cant follow the thread any more.

"Shake and bake!" -Ricki Bobby
Hey MEABN007
You don't need a Babel Fish, you only have to ask!

But I'm guessing with an 007(English God) title and a WHIG (18th/19th Century British Politics) underline, you know a bit more English than you let on?
Unless of course your an American Whig? In which case, are you a Northern Whig or a Southern (cotton) Whig? and what did President Andrew Jackson do to pi*s you off in 1832 anyway? Sorry a bit :eek:fftopic:

Best Wishes
Chancer

'America and Great Britain. Two Nations divided by a common language' !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts