Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! First time posting to 1130cc.com forums.

I got a 2002 VRSCA this spring with only 4000 miles on it and have just loved it. I've put about 2k mi on it so far and hope to have many (tens of?) thousands more.

I haven't had any significant issues to speak of and have spent most of my time (when not riding) making it look nice. The drive belt cover is pretty ugly. The gloss black does not go with the anodized Al/chrome look...

I could just take it off, but would that be bad? Is it supposed to be protecting the belt from something? This is my first cruiser (I'm a long time sport bike rider) and the foot position is so far forward I wouldn't think you would worry about getting your pants caught in the belt... so I was inclined to take it off thinking I would be safe.

I see there are chrome covers, but I'm a minimalist and would prefer none, if that was "safe" and would put the belt at some risk. Anyone have thoughts about the function of drive belt covers?

Thanks and happy riding!

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
:welcome:

The lower drive belt cover is there to protect the belt from road debris.... the upper is there to protect you and your passenger...

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
I like the look without, think it looks better but since I drive my kids and wife around I like them protected from putting their feet on the belt. Also, I like the protection from any rocks or debris getting in there. Just a personal pref if you ask me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting... and man you guys are fast! Thanks!

All my bikes have been chain-driven sport bikes. They have upper covers to keep you and your passenger out of the chain, but nothing on the bottom. But they're metal.

If the belt could get damaged from road hazards I don't think I'd take the bottom one off. But seated upright my feet and legs are by the final drive... no way they could get in the top of the belt. I also have a strict no passenger policy :) so no threat there.

But it would look stupid to have half a belt cover so I guess it's staying put until I feel like shelling out the $ for a chrome one.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts