Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I need little help and clarification. I have a 2009 DX and I love it. But I was never a person who can leaving thing alone. I like the wheel on Muscle and I am doing little research on the swap. The difficult part is that my bike is a ABS bike but most of the wheels seem to be non ABS.

The local dealer told me that there is a difference between the two wheels because the ABS wheels are different. Some people state that it the bearing that's only different. Can someone verify? I would hate to make a such expensive mistake.

thanks

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
there's a couple of ebay sales for electronic copies of the service and parts manuals, but everyone that's ever paid for them says they're crappy scan copies of an actual manual.
bikebandit.com has nice online diagrams, but their part numbers don't cross reference with ANYTHING.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there's a couple of ebay sales for electronic copies of the service and parts manuals, but everyone that's ever paid for them says they're crappy scan copies of an actual manual.
bikebandit.com has nice online diagrams, but their part numbers don't cross reference with ANYTHING.
hard copy,,eeewwww!!!! just kidding. thanks

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Ok, here is the deal. '02 - '07 wheel bearings are 52 mm OD, 1-inch ID and are 22 mm wide. Bikes built from '08 on have wheel bearings that are 52 mm OD, 25 mm ID and only 15 mm wide, so you could not put a stock '08 wheel bearing, ABS or non ABS, into a pre-2008 wheel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, here is the deal. '02 - '07 wheel bearings are 52 mm OD, 1-inch ID and are 22 mm wide. Bikes built from '08 on have wheel bearings that are 52 mm OD, 25 mm ID and only 15 mm wide, so you could not put a stock '08 wheel bearing, ABS or non ABS, into a pre-2008 wheel.
I think I get what you're saying (barely LOL). I am planning to put on the Muscle wheels and I think they started in 2009. I should be ok as long as I get the ABS bearings.

Can someone tell why I can not reuse the bearing I already have? Is it one of those type that once it is in, it in for good?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I don't have the electrical manual or a cut sheet for an ABS bike, but I thought there was some type of "pick up" in the ABS bearings. Quite possible I am full of shit on this though.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
That is correct. ABS bikes have different bearings than non-ABS bikes. Not certain how it reads the speed signal. But what I was saying was that early, pre-2008 wheels used much wider wheel bearings than 2008 and later wheels do. If you put a 2008 wheel bearing in a 2007 wheel, it would be too deep in the wheel for the axle spacers to work. I'm not certain on this, but I believe ABS bikes have a different spacer on one side of the axle than non-ABS bikes do. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
He has a 2009 DX so pre 2008 has nothing to do with the issue or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can re-use bearings, just don't use hammer for removing and installing. Also, when you installing them, try not to load them (when they installed, they should turn without resistanse).

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
You will need to change your outer wheel spacer when you go from ABS to non-ABS... Also you will need to change out the ABS bearing for a Non-ABS bearing.... the spacers and bearongs are different widths so there is room for the ABS sensor on the axle..... I have all the part number and info you will need... send me a PM and I will hook you up... no worries - glad to help out...
You have a few choices on bearings and I will let you know so you can make up your mind which route you want to go....

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
the core wheels and hubs are the same (bearings and spacers are different)....some ABS & non-ABS hubs are different for the V-Rods because the companies making them did their R&R and realized they need to machine the bearing pockets different depths for early,late or ABS) .. the outer spacers and bearings are the difference .... an example----- order a wheel for a 2003 V-Rod from an aftermarket company and order a wheel for a 2009ABS and the difference is bearings....also the outer wheel spacer is different because with-out the ABS sending unit you will need to take up that space... I think they are 3.4mm wide (or something like that)...

I offer all the bearing packages for the V-Rod wheels - OEM or aftermarket - ABS or non-ABS...V-Shop has OEM, Ceramic or snowmobile bearings for most all V-Rod wheels....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts