Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattling noise in the very top of my rear cylinder.
1 D&D Exhaust 2 into one
2 Power vision tuner mapping for a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 competition
3 Exhaust power torque cones
Ran great a impressive increase in low end for about 400 miles or so. (Approximation)
Frist started popping on decel, by the time I got home rear cylinder had stopped firing and hear a pronounced rattling noise in the very top of rear cylinder.
What happened?
Idea's anyone, is the engine ruined or not is what is running through my head ever since.
2014 VRSCF
32,000 miles
Stock air intake and filter.
Look forward to hearing all input

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I would first remove the power vision and see if that makes any difference. If noise is very pronounced then that should say Yea or Nay real quick.
Does is sound mechanical or electronic rattle? Could be a tuning issue which is why I suggested removing PV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rusty G, removing the tuner makes no difference, rattling noise is mechanical sounds ( I guessing at this ) like loose chain slap I know that a small chain is involved in the cam operation but have not opened anything up and wouldn't.
I know the bike is high tech will let a V Rod tech do that.
Spooky feelings here, afraid it's beyond my ability and don't want to make things any worse than what they are but would very much have some idea about what it could be?
Someone mentioned piston failure but seems to me there would be more noise then whats there now, just don't re Az lly have a clue what could have happened to cause this, never had any problems with it before now.
Wonder if I could have hurt it by putting the new exhaust on it.
Dyno Tune suggested running very lean but I was told the tuner would have corrected that.

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Just different pipes dont kill an engine but there can always go something wrong for different reasons.
Bring your bike to someone who knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jan-Dirk,
That's the plan for sure just wish I had some idea of what happened.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Torque Cones ? You might have a loose one rattling around - I hate to state the obvious, but you have to check that out before you get led down the primrose path - what's holding those in - are they welded ? Also do you have O2 sensors ? Rattling cone might have damaged it throwing off the fuel/air mix, and spark plug is easy to check as well. I wouldn't run it unless you find the source of the noise eliminate that first if possible.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Spark plugs have been known to fall apart. Pull the spark plug for starters and take a look. Parts of it might have fallen into the chamber. With the plug out and all good, do a compression or leak down test. The sound and lack of firing are related, just need to find the reason. Step by step diagnostics.
Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything you mentioned I have checked out, drained the oil to looked for metal shavings and didn't find anything that's alarming there as well.
Honestly that surprised me.
I'll probably remove the oil filter and open that up.
Much wisdom on checking the simple things first, thank you streetrodracer.
I'm not the easiest thing on this bike, I do love the power of it and have been at the top end of the speedo with it but not a every day kind of thing with me.
I have tried to be conservative about it, but my riding buddies think I'm crazy because I have let her stretch her legs a couple times when with them.
In my own defense though I'll mention they all ride baggers and pack their ladies with them when they break out of the house lol.
I do however ride nearly every day.
Much more than they.
You might get a laugh out of this though.
One of them called my bike sleazy sue, I asked why , his answer was because she's so pretty and she puts out.
The name has stuck I get a kick out of it everytime I hear it.
Thanks once again streetrodracer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sure do brother, and I've only rubbed down with a little polish since she broke lol.
Well it's going to the tech after the first, I have a feeling I'm looking at pretty good doctor bill no doubt.
I'll have HD pick it up.
2020 promises to be a better year already.
I have high expectations for her this year.
She's one tough cookie in my book

·
-MIG
47 Posts
Sorry to hear! Let us know what they find; it often sounds worse than it is. My wife gave my bike the name 'Delilah' and called her my temptress...
-MIG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MIG ,lol, that put a smile on my face and made my wife laugh.
I always try to keep a positive outlook in these kind of situations.
It has always seemed to work for me.
Thanks brother

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any codes thrown? How about the coil pack on the rear cylinder? Those tend to fail. There is a ground on each cyl that can come undone as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts