Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...2015 muscle rear brake peddle feels like it has seized up It just dosent move at all , I tried bleeding the rear caliper but the brake pedal still wouldn't move , I undid the banjo bolt on the piston and was able to pump the brake , tightend up banjo bolt but pedal was still not moving ,. do you think the rear caliper has seized up ?? . I'll be getting Into It this weekend but It would be nice to get a heads up ..Bike only has 6,500 miles on It .

Thanks for any Input .

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Hey guys...2015 muscle rear brake peddle feels like it has seized up It just dosent move at all , I tried bleeding the rear caliper but the brake pedal still wouldn't move , I undid the banjo bolt on the piston and was able to pump the brake , tightend up banjo bolt but pedal was still not moving ,. do you think the rear caliper has seized up ?? . I'll be getting Into It this weekend but It would be nice to get a heads up ..Bike only has 6,500 miles on It .

Thanks for any Input .
If you have ABS, your HCU module is likely pooched.
Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Ron...Well If thats the case I cant even do the work myself as I would need the tools and software to be able to bleed the brakes . $450 for a module...WTF .

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ron...Well If thats the case I cant even do the work myself as I would need the tools and software to be able to bleed the brakes . $450 for a module...WTF .
Not bad price actually. Seen a lot worse for the same part. I'm surprised a dealer will even sell it to you outright. As for tools, there's a tool you can get from a member here ITM HD1 ABS Flush Utility (J1850 equipped/4 pin bikes) – Information Technology Mercenaries LLC I personally use twinscan2 ABS as I bought it prior to seeing this one. Both so simple to use a caveman can do it and will come in handy for those very important 2 year fluid fush and ABS cycling. 9/10, lack of servicing kills the unit via internal corrosion.
Ron

·
"Vrod King"
892 Posts
You could bypass the ABS unit for a lot cheaper. There are enough threads here on how to do that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This Is my first HD.in fact the Vrod Is the only HD I would ever buy , I bought It used so I was unaware of the brake problems . update so I called my local HD dealer asked them for a ball park price to fix the problem , apparently the module has been updated so will cost more total price with labor around $1000 :confused: ...lol on the up side they will come and pick the bike up .

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
This Is my first HD.in fact the Vrod Is the only HD I would ever buy , I bought It used so I was unaware of the brake problems . update so I called my local HD dealer asked them for a ball park price to fix the problem , apparently the module has been updated so will cost more total price with labor around $1000 :confused: ...lol on the up side they will come and pick the bike up .
To my knowledge that HCU, other then a different supplier has not changed internally. 48344-09 is the v rod part. Can you post if there actually is a new part, or the dealer once again is full of poop.
Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To my knowledge that HCU, other then a different supplier has not changed internally. 48344-09 is the v rod part. Can you post if there actually is a new part, or the dealer once again is full of poop.
Ron

The service guy Is supposed to call me back , I will give them the part # you quoted and tell them as far as I'm aware the module was never changed lets see what they say . This Is one reason I never take my shit to a dealership .

Kinda pisses me off ...the amount of $$$ HD charges for there bikes you would think they would use better parts or at least fix the problem , flushing the system every two years IMHO Isn't fixing the problem .
Yes Ron If there Is a new part I will post It up .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The up dated module according to the dealership Is..48344-09 A . and Its around $700 .

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
True, they have no issue charging premium prices. As for that ABS unit, they should have had their asses kicked by the NHTSA but no, a free , supposed years (09-11) infected flush and cycle with them coming up with a new magical Platinum brake fluid, they weaseled out of a full blown recall. Wouldn't matter anyway as some even failed at the dealer on the recall flush. It was on the owners dime if it did. Damn crooks. I can somewhat accept corrosion from lack of maintenance as it happens on some cars too. What really burns my ass is a full blown failure of either front or rear brake depending on what sticks in the HCU. Normal braking should still function, just no ABS in play, like every other vehicle out there. That's where the NHTSA should have bitch slapped HD hard. What kind of moron designs something like that? Oh wait, HD.
Ron

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
The up dated module according to the dealership Is..48344-09 A . and Its around $700 .
A denotes a different manufacturer/ supplier. So, same shit basically. Only way it can be improved is have the pintles plated and doubt that was done as part of the so called improvement.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Believe it or not I had the same problem with a non ABS rear brake on my R model. The rear brake hose degraded internally and had small chunks of rubber that shed and got stuck in the rear caliper inlet ports - hard brake pedal, no braking action - I pumped the pedal multiple times, then bled it to expel debris and salvage a week away up in the N.C. mountains but had to put a new brake hose on it at home to finally fix it - I believe guys pulling the rear wheel for tire changes and not supporting the brake caliper but letting it hang on the brake hose was the majority of the root cause - that and the exhaust heats the hose up to make it brittle internally - so even non ABS bikes are not immune to this problem.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Believe it or not I had the same problem with a non ABS rear brake on my R model. The rear brake hose degraded internally and had small chunks of rubber that shed and got stuck in the rear caliper inlet ports - hard brake pedal, no braking action - I pumped the pedal multiple times, then bled it to expel debris and salvage a week away up in the N.C. mountains but had to put a new brake hose on it at home to finally fix it - I believe guys pulling the rear wheel for tire changes and not supporting the brake caliper but letting it hang on the brake hose was the majority of the root cause - that and the exhaust heats the hose up to make it brittle internally - so even non ABS bikes are not immune to this problem.
Actually, my bud has the same exact problem with his R. He called one day bitching about no matter how hard he pushes, no rear brake. Since no ABS, figured it had to be some form of blockage. I haven't looked into it yet but what you mention is most likely the cause. Don't take much to block it off and hose particles can do that very easily.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Ron - Hopefully our friends at H-D have back ordered some more D & R model rear brake hoses ( I doubt it I.A.W. their " ignore the parts needs of all owners of any discontinued motorcycles ASAP policy. " I had a hard time finding one a couple years ago it may be about unobtainable now if he can find one buy it right away - Goodridge may be able to make one as an alternative but the OEM it's a funky piece so not easy to duplicate -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts