Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a friend out that suffered a traumatic brain injury and has to sell his Vrod. It's been sitting foe a couple of years so I replaced the battery. There is no power to anything (starter, lights, etc.) Yet the battery tested 12v. I am 200 plus miles from any dealer so any recommendations would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've checked the main fuse it's good I have power to the main fuse when the key is in the off position but no power when it's on the on position. Help please
Sounds like you have a really bad connection somewhere assuming your battery is ok. First thing to check is do you have 12v direct on the battery when you turn the key on, if yes. Then check the same with the meter positive on the battery and the negative on the frame. If you still have 12v then the problem is on the live connection somewhere. You can check the ground by doing the reverse. You need to make sure the terminals on the battery are good and tight and check all the ground connections, particularly the ones on the heads and the one underneath from the sump to the frame.

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you have a really bad connection somewhere assuming your battery is ok. First thing to check is do you have 12v direct on the battery when you turn the key on, if yes. Then check the same with the meter positive on the battery and the negative on the frame. If you still have 12v then the problem is on the live connection somewhere. You can check the ground by doing the reverse. You need to make sure the terminals on the battery are good and tight and check all the ground connections, particularly the ones on the heads and the one underneath from the sump to the frame.
Thanks, brand new battery, clean terminals. Have 12v to main fuse until I switch key to on then nothing to main fuse. Flustered!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That's odd. Trace the wiring based on this sketch. Switch should not effect power to fuse , on or off.
Ron
Depends where he is measuring. If he measures between the fuse and a ground other side of the problem, and has a dodgy ground connection, then when the load is applied by turning the switch on the ground connection would cave which would leave no voltage showing at the fuse.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Depends where he is measuring. If he measures between the fuse and a ground other side of the problem, and has a dodgy ground connection, then when the load is applied by turning the switch on the ground connection would cave which would leave no voltage showing at the fuse.
Ok, so logically a retest at the battery negative terminal and if good there, there's grounding issue somewhere between the battery terminal and where he's checking for ground?
Ron

·
Registered
104 Posts
Common assumption that power is supplied via the positive post/cable from the battery. Actually power comes out the negative side of the battery and back into it through the positive post. Check for power hooking up the test light to the battery post (not the screw or wire), check for power at both sides of fuse, then check where it grounds to the head. Have seen fuses "almost blown" only allowing 6v or less through circuit. Best bet is to get a test light that shows actual voltage and is capable of checking for power or ground. I have a couple of snap-on testers, some just have a led that shows if there's power, but it doesn't take much to light an led.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can use an Ohm meter to test from battery negative to cylinder head, to check ground wire . I would try disconnecting voltage regulator and ECM/ECU and test for power as listed in the chart above. Is possible voltage regulator has shorted or even problem with ECM. Maybe a bad ignition switch ? Bad ground on the ECM ? Security system ? Not familiar with 2009, does it have proximity FOB ? If not, the lights should come on as they are not controlled by ECM ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Helping a friend out that suffered a traumatic brain injury and has to sell his Vrod. It's been sitting foe a couple of years so I replaced the battery. There is no power to anything (starter, lights, etc.) Yet the battery tested 12v. I am 200 plus miles from any dealer so any recommendations would be much appreciated.
How much is he selling v -rod
how much for the V rod

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How much is he selling v -rod

how much for the V rod
The owner's wife is handling the sale as her husband cannot remember much after the accident. We are pretty sure it has less than a couple thousand miles on it, custom exhaust, rear seat, etc. And includes a trailer. A dealership offered her 10k if she brought it in as is. It's currently located in Mammoth Lakes California.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try lubing the ignition switch and wiggling the key around.(I use WD-40)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts