Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 02 VRSCA I recently reassembled the bike after sending the frame out for powder coat bike ran fine before I tore it apart now I surges when it idles and not I hear noise in the top end and my oil pressure light is on I have checked the cam tensioners and they are fine the oil pump looks fine as well. I also made sure the valve lashings were in specs before put the motor back in looking for ideas on what I can look at next would rather not replace the engine.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
On my 02 VRSCA I recently reassembled the bike after sending the frame out for powder coat bike ran fine before I tore it apart now I surges when it idles and not I hear noise in the top end and my oil pressure light is on I have checked the cam tensioners and they are fine the oil pump looks fine as well. I also made sure the valve lashings were in specs before put the motor back in looking for ideas on what I can look at next would rather not replace the engine.
Well, I wouldn't have thought it possible but when I did my tripple sprocket I could hear a rush of air when removing the bolt. Having just installed an oil pressure gauge prior and testing it, all was fine. When I went to restart it after the t sprocket, it would not pressure up. The pump lost it's prime. The t sprocket was fine, by the way but went through the loctite process anyway. Now, having aircraft engine experience, some of them lose prime from time to time and they are allowed to run for one minute without pressure, and while I don't like it ,I don't go ape shit if the light doesn't go out right away. My case, it was about 15 seconds and just about the ah fk moment to shut down, it caught and the pressure jumped up. This was two years ago and oil pressures have not changed from new, so doubt there was any damage. There were no unusual noises during this so there must have been some flow going on. If you can access the oil light sensor, take it out and pump as much oil with an oil can as you can and give it some time to feed back to the pump. Use an actual oil pressure gauge for test purposes, just in case the idiot sensor took a dump. Take the plugs out and crank the engine to see if it registers. Don't run the engine any more then it already has with no oil pressure. Cranking with no plugs will not hurt it much as the rods are not under pressure.
Basically it's oil pump and possibly oil pressure sensor related.
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.