Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every other time I try to shift up, WOT without using the clutch, it will go into gear and then bang limiter as if it as come out of gear? What am I doing wrong?!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
blip the throttle to shift, with a slight preload on shifter. Bang shifting off the limiter will just break $h!t inside. Or get a QuickShifter where you can adjust the engine cut time between shifts to facilitate full engagement.

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blip the throttle to shift, with a slight preload on shifter. Bang shifting off the limiter will just break $h!t inside.
This is what I’m worried about. It still feels healthy but it scared me, I just got cams and motohooligan intake. I don’t understand how it can go out of gear past 2nd gear? It was like it went into neutral, I lost power and it hit limiter hard.. then I pulled up the shifter and it went right back into gear...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I’m worried about. It still feels healthy but it scared me, I just got cams and motohooligan intake. I don’t understand how it can go out of gear past 2nd gear? It was like it went into neutral, I lost power and it hit limiter hard.. then I pulled up the shifter and it went right back into gear...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It was never fully engaged and popped out of gear. A slightly bent shifting fork will do that too.

Reactions: gcross308

·
Registered
53 Posts
use the clutch and save some money on repairs--that is cheaper than doing a clutch or tranny repair--cool aint cheap when it could fu-k shit up think about that for a while

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys! Rode for about 3 hours today, clutched the whole time... No issues at all. So glad something didn’t break! Don’t have the itch for more power... for now 😜

·
Registered
18 Posts
The problem is you do not know how to drag a bike. You have never dragged a bike. You do not need a clutch to shift a gear on a motorcycle. You need to know how to rev match.
The gear shifter needs to be pre-loaded with your foot pressure and you need to be able to sync that with your throttle blip. It can be much faster than a quick shifter if you know how to do it. since thre is no input lag.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The problem is you do not know how to drag a bike. You have never dragged a bike. You do not need a clutch to shift a gear on a motorcycle. You need to know how to rev match.
The gear shifter needs to be pre-loaded with your foot pressure and you need to be able to sync that with your throttle blip. It can be much faster than a quick shifter if you know how to do it. since thre is no input lag.
I KNOW THAT IT HITS A SWEET SPOT WHERE IT WILL SHIFT SMOOTH AS A BABYS ASS BUT YOU HAVE SOME OUT THERE THAT DONT HAVE THE FEELING FOR DOING THAT --LISTEN TO THE WAY PEOPLE SHIFT INTO 1ST GEAR THEY JUST PULL THE CLUTCH AND STOMP IT INTO GEAR AND THEY DO THE SAME WHILE RUNNING IN THE UPPER GEARS --THEY ARE EVEN HARDER ON THE BIG TWIN TRANNYS -I POSTED WHAT I POSTED BECAUSE OF THOSE DONT HAVE THEAT FEELING FOR THOSE CLUTCH LESS SHIFTS -I HAVE BEEN RIDING FOR OVER 60 YEARS I AM @73 NOW AND HAVE FIXED MANEY TRANNYS THRU THE YEARS BECAUSE PEOPLE TREAT SHIT LIKE IT IS SOME KIND TRACTOR WITH THE STOMP SYSTEM THAT ENDS ITS RUNNING I AM I HAVE A 73 SHOVEL HEAD THAT I HAVE BEEN RIDING 50 PLUS YEARS GOT IT NEW GOT A TWIN CAME 88 IN A ROLLER THAT LESS THE ENGINE AND TRANNY WEIGHTS IN AT 165 LBS I BUILT MY V-ROD PLUS 2BMWS HALF A DOZEN 750 HONDAS AND ABOUT A DOZEN GOLD WINGS AND 2 MOTO GUZZIES --I COLLECT BIKES AND DO SALVAGE SALES I AM A MAD MAN OUT HERE IN THE DESERT OUT MIKE

·
Registered
18 Posts
--LISTEN TO THE WAY PEOPLE SHIFT INTO 1ST GEAR THEY JUST PULL THE CLUTCH AND STOMP IT INTO GEAR AND THEY DO THE SAME WHILE RUNNING IN THE UPPER GEARS --THEY ARE EVEN HARDER ON THE BIG TWIN TRANNYS -I POSTED WHAT I POSTED BECAUSE OF THOSE DONT HAVE THEAT FEELING FOR THOSE CLUTCH LESS SHIFTS -
In doing so for a lengthy period of time, the Dogs get rounded off requiring undercutting. The simple solution to this is to put the tranny in gear before starting the bike rather than slamming it into first gear.
Your gears and tranny will reward you with many years of service. Possibly for the life of the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts