Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 R with a PC3 and the bike is showing codes for no combustion front/rear cylinder. The bike runs runs fine until there is a load on it such as high rpm's, then it spits and sputters a bit and the check engine light comes on. I've had it to the dealers 3 times and they can not figure out the problem. The PC3 was replaced and its still doing it so i've eliminated that as the problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I have a 2006 R with a PC3 and the bike is showing codes for no combustion front/rear cylinder. The bike runs runs fine until there is a load on it such as high rpm's, then it spits and sputters a bit and the check engine light comes on. I've had it to the dealers 3 times and they can not figure out the problem. The PC3 was replaced and its still doing it so i've eliminated that as the problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
You say the check engine light comes on. Does it stay on?

You mention the "No Combustion" code. What DTC code number(s) do you see?
P1353 is front cyl no combustion,
P1356 is rear cyl no combustion,
P1357 is front cyl intermittent combustion, and
P1358 is rear cyl intermittent combustion

It would help to know which of these are being set.

The combustion monitor only works at high RPM and relatively high throttle position (high load). Usually a no combustion DTC means that the spark plug (s) are bad or the coil secondary is not connected to the spark plug (there's a spring inside the spark plug connector on the coil pack).

There are other more serious problems that could cause this like bad fuel delivery, bad rings or valves, or other things that affect the mixture or compression.

Also, just because you replaced the PC3 doesn't mean that it's not the problem. If you don't find a problem with the spark plugs or coils, you may need to run the bike without the PC3 and see if any codes are thrown.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Make sure you torque down the plugs and check them for cracks and the proper gap.

Make sure the spring in the boot is touching the plugs.

:them:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Its throwing codes for the no combustion not intermittent combustion. This would make sense because it started doing it right after I dropped it off to have the slipper clutch installed and they replaced the plugs to. But they have replaced the plugs 3 times since this to no avail. I would have thought they would know to check out the coils but I guess not. Oh and the check engine light comes on after high load and stays on until I shut the bike off. Should I just replace the coils a this point??

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Its throwing codes for the no combustion not intermittent combustion. This would make sense because it started doing it right after I dropped it off to have the slipper clutch installed and they replaced the plugs to. But they have replaced the plugs 3 times since this to no avail. I would have thought they would know to check out the coils but I guess not. Oh and the check engine light comes on after high load and stays on until I shut the bike off. Should I just replace the coils a this point??
Not necessarily.

Check the spring in the spark plug boot on the coil first.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
also check to make sure the right plugs were installed and gaped correctly

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
They most likely left a ring gasket in the spark plug hole when they changed the plugs the first time. Have them remove the plugs and fish it/them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts