Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last trip beat the daylights out of my bike, and it just needs a major overhaul. Nothing has ever gone wrong with the engine, but the rest of the bike definitely needs some major work after 70k hard miles. I'm clearly sliding off into geezer-glide land these days and these are the things I'm thinking of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sick of having to carry the weight so high on the bike when we tour. The sidewinds on this trip were strong and I felt like a kite at times (even with an open front wheel -- hehehe). Since I have to replace my FPOS bags finally, and my v-mods are too loud for me now, I'm considering changing out the pipes and going for some road rod-type bagger saddlebags. I was looking at DPierce's thread on his lovely road rod, but couldn't tell which pipes he has on it. Anyone know? Suggestions on pipes that will let me mount real saddlebags that would actually hold something? And, does anyone think I'd have trouble mounting real saddlebags with the 200 rear wheel?

And I have to replace the PM front wheel. Even with Hogpro's help in replacing the rotors awhile back, I am still having the bunny hop in the front end and think I may want to use my front brake again in the next 30-40k miles sometime. So, I need a new front wheel and rotors that won't warp on me with hard use, and I still definitely want an open front wheel. Has anyone put alot of miles on the HD Reactor wheel or any others and had good experience with them?

I'm also really sick of how ugly my Memphis Shades windshield and side panels are and am considering a faring finally. I know Daniii loves his batwing, but I worry about too much wind on my head with it. It took me a couple of years of messing around with windshields to finally get this setup I currently have that actually works for me. Can't stand the thought of going through that fight again.

Really, I just want a vrsc bagger still...but it's looking like it's going to be YEARS before we see one. I can't afford to do any of this, but it's certainly less expensive than a new bike anyway.

Ideas? Thanks.

Val

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I mounted the tall clear shield that comes with the KenDay Batwing to the short tinted one, by drilling two holes in the short screen and using Memphis shade hardware. You can adjust the height to any height. Actually, the stock height may work for you, but it was 4" too short for me.
Reinhart pipes clear the RoadRod bags, but are awfully loud. I don't know of any quiet pipes that will allow the full size bags, but there mat be some. DPierce has a 2 into 1 of some sort on his. All will likely lose power, and/or require a fueler of some sort (which you may have anyway with the V-Mods).
The Batwing did solve all my wind issues. And I have no instability in crosswinds or behind semi's (even with the solid wheels - which you should be able to get pretty cheap, I'd think).
Guess you need a lower frame piece too, huh? Glad your 'bump' wasn't too seriousy

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dan. I've got the old PC III serial with Mark's map on it for my v-mods (got great gas mileage again, which was important with premium over $5/gal up there). Also helped that we couldn't go more than 50 mph on most of the roads... The v-mods have definitely been getting louder, so I think any other pipes would end up being quieter by now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the Cyclevisions Road Rod bags on my bike. I could not fit a 200mm tire on the back as the sidewall hits the saddlebag support struts. I used a Metzeler 180mm. It didn't bother me much, as with the Road Rod rear fender extension and the saddlebags, you can't see much of the rear tire anyway. The 180mm probably handles better anyway.

My pipes are Supertrapp V-5, 2 into 1. No clearance problem with the bags and the Supertrapps are one the best performers. You can adjust the sound levels (and performance) by adding or removing discs, but even with all of the discs in (most free flowing), they are not that loud.

I went into detail about the aerodynamics of the Road Glide fairing and windshield in another thread. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70487&page=4

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Merlin. Your setup looks absolutely great. I can easily go back to the 180 tire and appreciate the pipes info.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got the bike into the dealer today. There's a possibility the insurance co. might say I need to have the entire frame replaced. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

Reinhart 2 into 1's, new shocks front and back, road rod saddlebags, new front wheel and rotors, and all of my corroded nuts and bolts replaced???

Well, alot cheaper than buying a new bike...

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, with the kind of riding we do, I really should just buy some used BMW touring thing. Hell, I'm an avid Aerostich customer for all the gadgets and am even working my way out of leathers (didn't even take any along on this year's trip) and moving over into their touring clothes, altho my cheapo Trail Master winter riding jacket was perfect for this cool, clammy, drippy trip.

But I just can't stand the idea. I just can't stand the idea of giving up the torque and hp going from 80-100 mph or more on my 03 vrsca (only when necessary for passing, of course), with even my old, 70k 1130cc engine, for some boring, lagging, SLOW-on-the-uptake bike, even if it IS perfectly outfitted for my touring needs.

You know, over all these miles, the only things that I've had trouble with have been ancillary items -- clutch, battery, stupid footpeg stuff, and now I'm having the stalling thing, etc. Not ONE thing has ever been engine-related. The way it's been going, I think this engine can take me to 200k miles.

*sigh* What a PITA to have to change out my pipes and bags and such to be able to load it up more effectively for touring. OTOH, I can't live without it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Val,

I Just checked out your gallery, and you have some amazing photos on there.

I dig seeing a guy that likes to ride his bike and put on some serious miles.

BTW, Your bike looks great all loaded up and ready to roll

Ride On!
Merlin

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Merlin, I'm a "her" not a "him," but am so pleased you don't think my bike looks as awful as I do when she's loaded for touring. All that shite (as Christine from the UK would say) is necessary to do the miles we do on our long trips, but it's sure ugly on a v-rod. I really just want our engine in a BAGGER ---- but that's old news here....

I haven't been back to my local dealer who sold me the bike for about 40k miles, but it was fun to come "home" today for the insurance estimate anyway. The former service manager, who was always just lovely to me, is now the general manager. When I came back to pick up my purse after forgetting it in my FPOS saddlebag, the service writer was showing my bike's injuries to him. We had a good time talking about how amazing it is that I "took to riding" the way I have, given that I learned there, and how he uses me as an example of how you can tour on a v-rod as well as what a great bike it is for ladies.

I've been reading how the MoCo is finally targeting the female market... duh. But how about the "likes to go really fast, tours alot of miles" female market????? Such bozos -- our MoCo is only now beginning to focus on the sportster (WTF?) as a #1 woman's bike. What woman who is smart enough to learn to ride her own wants to ride a sportster, even with a rubber-mounted engine? *sigh* WHAT are they thinking and SELLING these days??? They made the perfect gurl's bike in the original A's and B's, but never marketed them to women, and haven't followed up with a woman's TOURING bike with a REAL engine in it since....

Sorry, rant over, and not directed at YOU, for sure. Over for the moment at least, but probably not for long.

Do I HAVE to buy a BMW??? They're too high for gurls anyway.

Sorry, sorry... I DO LIKE MY ENGINE!!!

·
George
5,411 Posts
You just emasculated all your brothers Val!

How can we ever go tell those airheads that the V is a MAN's bike now? I think I'm gonna cry! OOPS! pardon me while I go powder my face!

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Val, you should buy a RoadGlide type of bike and keep the V-Rod for fun. Yes, it needs fixing up but consider it paid for itself...you can take your time. And, don't listen to the insurance company...the chances you need a whole new frame is very unlikely...they always default to the conservative and replace the whole thing even if it's just scratched.

The other option I see for you is to get the kit from
http://www.partsmag.com/0501/V-Rod-Project-Bike/V-Rod-Projectbike-0501.html

·
Registered
661 Posts
Val, I'm seriously considering the corbin fleetliner fairing for my V...It looks streamlined and follows the contours of the headlamp, it also looks smaller than the full size HD fairing. The pics on their website is starting to grow on me...But it seems the lead time is approx 6 weeks.

http://www.corbin.com/harley/vrsca/hdvrywfair.shtml

Also as per the website:
Accepts standard Harley-Davidson FLHTC windscreens in a variety of styles and sizes if you'd like to customize your fairing.
To be honest I like the looks of the road glide fairing on the V, but it will be fixed on the frame and looks bulky heavy up front.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
knightenforcer said:
To be honest I like the looks of the road glide fairing on the V, but it will be fixed on the frame and looks bulky heavy up front.
I'm with you on that. Take a look at the KenDay. You'll have to make your own brackets (piece of cake with HD quick release brackets), but you might need to change the headlight for a Billet. Even so, the combo is probably $800 cheaper than the Corbin, and 10 second removable.

http://www.kendayproducts.com/

Don't order the available airhead brackets from them (call and get a discount).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Aloha Val

I apologize for the mistaken identity (I once new a guy named Val)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when I see your bike loaded up up and ready to roll, I see someone who bought there bike TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE. As opposed to all of the bikes that spend their lives in the garage under a cover, so that they'll be nice and shiny when they come out Thurs. night for bike night.

The V Rod was the first forward thinking project that The MoCo has successfully pulled off in a long time (thanks in large part to Porsche), but many of us waited for a touring version on the VRSC platform, to no avail; as in most cases, HD tends to look to the future through rear view mirrors.

Love it, or hate it, (and most people love it) I see my Road Rod as like a Lamborghini station wagon. Performance plus practicality, and IMHO it looks pretty cool too.

Most V Rods (men or women piloted) never see close to the kind of miles that you and your bike have, and, I'm sure ,will continue to see

In the final analysis, It's all about the road, and I hope to see you out there.

Aloha
Merlin

·
Registered
661 Posts
Daniii said:
I'm with you on that. Take a look at the KenDay. You'll have to make your own brackets (piece of cake with HD quick release brackets), but you might need to change the headlight for a Billet. Even so, the combo is probably $800 cheaper than the Corbin, and 10 second removable.

http://www.kendayproducts.com/

Don't order the available airhead brackets from them (call and get a discount).
Thanks Danii, I actually looked into the kennyday last year when I still had my Road King, but ended up with another aftermarket fairing with the tunes installed(Deadcenter cycles). I currently have the detachable touring windshield and HD hard vinyl covered bags...these will do til I decide to get a batwing fairing.:)

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Recommendation on shocks for touring?

I'm looking at the progressives on v-mod.com, and once again my ignorance astounds me, even after reading the group buy threads and others over the years. I'd sure appreciate your input:

1. OK, with the kind of riding we do, my size, and income limits, can I get by with the 418 rather than the 440?

2. What length should I buy, if you recommend a 440?

Are there other, less-expensive options I should consider that would do a better job at handling the rear weight from my touring stuff?

And how about the 412s, even?

Thanks!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Val,

Any of the Progressives would be an improvement over stock. I reccommend the 440's because they have inertia dampening. If you like your bike the way it is, put on stock lenght 440's and call it a day. The nice thing is that you can change the preload on road without tools. Just grab the upper cover and twist.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Rowland, but the 412s are half the price and I have 70k miles on this bike now. The web info says they lower-grade progressives are supposed to be inertia dampening, too, so I wonder what I'm giving up? No tools would be definitely nice for road trips, since I can't keep track of any specialized tool I've ever bought for the thing. And what IS the stock length for the 03 A? (sheesh on me)

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Christmas in August!!!

Woo hoo! I just went out to pick up the bike and got the estimate. I don't remember what my deductible is, so will have to talk to the insurance co. next week.

The estimate includes replacing my pipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO EXCITED, as I wanted to get the Rinehart 2-1s to have more room for bigger saddlebags and was NOT expecting this.

They definitely want to replace the entire frame. If I don't do it, I have to sign some kind of waiver, but at least it's not fraud. We looked at the "dit" again more closely tonight and it really does go into the bare metal and is deeper than I'd realized, after they had flaked away the paint that was still kind of hanging on it. So, anyone knowledgeable have a recommendation? Can I get the dit filled and/or welded and just repaint the frame instead of replacing it without having to worry that the frame will corrode and fall apart on me over the next 40-50k miles, or do I really need to get a new frame? Mine is beat up as hell by now, but it would sure be nice to use some of that $$ for a new front wheel and rotors that don't cause the "bunny hop" when I apply the front brake.

And the salesman who called me the other night offered me the $10k trade-in again, and I said, "yeah, including signing over my insurance check to you, right?" He said, "of course," which means the effective trade-in value he was offering me is about $3500 (which makes alot more sense).

So, I have some SHOPPING to do! Yippee! Will have them start the work in Oct. when I'll be gone all month for work anyway. God bless Norm the taxi driver!

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Val said:
Thanks, Rowland, but the 412s are half the price and I have 70k miles on this bike now. The web info says they lower-grade progressives are supposed to be inertia dampening, too, so I wonder what I'm giving up? No tools would be definitely nice for road trips, since I can't keep track of any specialized tool I've ever bought for the thing. And what IS the stock length for the 03 A? (sheesh on me)
Get the 13" 440's Val.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts