Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Yea 28 tooth. But I rev the bike to 9500 so all is well there. I think it will do just fine. And is it doesn’t no biggie. There is also no guarantee that I will need to even get to 104-105 it may still only see 102-103 anyway

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
That's cool yea 9500 will do it no shift to 4th needed and no rev limiter kicking in - sounds perfect ! Let us know how she does - 6's may be going to happen right away - 👍:cool:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Also try to think how to get rid of all unnecessary weight with you while in the track. Of course not by means of weakening any structures and making things dangerous. Like any HD Vrod's are also designed with little bit heavy hand. Only Revolution engine weight's more than 200lbs. When driving alone no need for passenger footrests etc. Little fuel in the tank in the track. Leave home keys in the car...😅 you get the idea.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Also try to think how to get rid of all unnecessary weight with you while in the track. Of course not by means of weakening any structures and making things dangerous. Like any HD Vrod's are also designed with little bit heavy hand. Only Revolution engine weight's more than 200lbs. When driving alone no need for passenger footrests etc. Little fuel in the tank in the track. Leave home keys in the car...😅 you get the idea.
Yea right now the most unnecessary weight is the rider 😂 I’ve lost 80 pounds in the last year and stil have roughly 150lbs to drop. But that’s a slow process lol Passenger pegs are gone, backrest and luggage rack are gone. Mirrors, air box lid, all extra brackets etc are gone. I don’t believe much is left lol I was heavy on fuel this past weekend and honestly that may have cost me the 6 all by itself lol she was full of all 5 gallons the tank could hold lol lesson learned

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
The wheels, fwd belt pulley are some quick weight saving areas but beyond that it gets real expensive. Yea if you can drop 150 lbs that's a great improvement ! - hell even half that is great and a hell of a lot less than lightning the bike. I will say though bigger heavy guys can really get the bike to hook up out of the hole - my old drag racing buddy weighed about 265 back in the day racing a KZ1000 drag bike and man that combo was an absolute rocket off the line and not with a huge tire either. 👍 ;)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Yea right now the most unnecessary weight is the rider 😂 I’ve lost 80 pounds in the last year and stil have roughly 150lbs to drop. But that’s a slow process lol Passenger pegs are gone, backrest and luggage rack are gone. Mirrors, air box lid, all extra brackets etc are gone. I don’t believe much is left lol I was heavy on fuel this past weekend and honestly that may have cost me the 6 all by itself lol she was full of all 5 gallons the tank could hold lol lesson learned
Oh yes. This is big guys hobby (y) String beans cannot keep it straight :LOL: A little beer belly is like keel. You had at least 4 gallons or 20lbs too much weight. That might really cost you that 0.07sec dividing from that 6.xx time.

Belt guards are pretty heavy too and I have thrown them away. Of course they are for safety reasons and are not recommended to remove. Every single new part which I've made to bike is as lightweight as possible. But like you said there is point where almost everything possible is done and slimming is not an option for me too. Downhill skiing will suffer otherwise. Power adding is the next best choice. Bit expensive though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Oh yes. This is big guys hobby (y) String beans cannot keep it straight :LOL: A little beer belly is like keel. You had at least 4 gallons or 20lbs too much weight. That might really cost you that 0.07sec dividing from that 6.xx time.

Belt guards are pretty heavy too and I have thrown them away. Of course they are for safety reasons and are not recommended to remove. Every single new part which I've made to bike is as lightweight as possible. But like you said there is point where almost everything possible is done and slimming is not an option for me too. Downhill skiing will suffer otherwise. Power adding is the next best choice. Bit expensive though.
Forgot that belt guards are also gone haha im a machinist by trade so everything that had been made so far has been as light as possible. haha My next big project is to fab up some rear axle (probably using lower rear shock bolt location tbh) mounted pegs and shifter linkage. Was considering and air shifter but I could do the foot shifter for basically free lol after lots of launching and testing I feel so comfortable with them in that spot. I can actually lay on the tank and I feel no amount of power is going to bring the front tire off the ground at that point. This may create a traction issue however but we will see!

Also I was looking at the front forks, Is lowering the front as simple as loosening the pinch bolts and sliding the tubes up or is there another mechanism that will prevent this? It would be nice to get the front end down some as well

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Also I was looking at the front forks, Is lowering the front as simple as loosening the pinch bolts and sliding the tubes up or is there another mechanism that will prevent this? It would be nice to get the front end down some as well
Yes there has been talk about upsider forks lately in other topics but keeping long story short you can lower them there. However if lowering more than 5-10mm side reflectors might be removed. They are attached with double-sided tape but at least mine went to pieces even heat gun were used to soften tape.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
In HD manual they suggest using new pinch bolts every time with a drop of glue. Holes and threads cleaned properly. Bolt torquing sequence is also mentioned with proper moments. Fork assy in whole is one of the critical points in bike which cannot be over looked. When you hit the brakes from 150 you really do not want to see that fork tubes are sliding in :eek:

81 - 89 of 89 Posts