Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a night rod special 2008 and am trying to figure out if a 250 rear tire will fit? Anyone know?

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc.com - yes the 250 tire will fit on your 8" rim as has been done by many members here.. Do a search !!!
The more common upgrade is to a 260 tire on this bike

·
riding Ocean
173 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc.com - yes the 250 tire will fit on your 8" rim as has been done by many members here.. Do a search !!!
The more common upgrade is to a 260 tire on this bike
Avon 250 is actually wider then Metzler 260, just FYI.
I have the Avon and it fits without any issues.

·
Registered
136 Posts
:them:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sleep I need a headace I do not :banghead:

Will the 280 Metz fit... im confused:bash:

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
You guys definitely don't like twisties... :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you're going to put a 280 on then you're going to need a wide swingarm and if you are going to b paying a couple grand out then you might as well put a 300 tire and kit on, which will cost you a new tire, wheel and swingarm. All in all...give or take 4G's.

Ya..the odd odd guy tried a 280 on a stock wheel. Jury is still out on that. So it all comes down to what you want to spend.

As for what's wider...a 250 or 260 Metz....many debatable threads on that too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you're going to put a 280 on then you're going to need a wide swingarm and if you are going to b paying a couple grand out then you might as well put a 300 tire and kit on, which will cost you a new tire, wheel and swingarm. All in all...give or take 4G's.

Ya..the odd odd guy tried a 280 on a stock wheel. Jury is still out on that. So it all comes down to what you want to spend.

As for what's wider...a 250 or 260 Metz....many debatable threads on that too.
I might be mistaken but I think I read that a couple people put it on the stock swing arm with no clearence issues. Granted it's tight but it does fit without hitting anything.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's the 260. There has been I think one or very few that have experimented with a 280 on stock swing arm. Last post has been riding it a few days or so. Personally my value is worth more than "x" amount of $.

If I was going bigger I'd pay the extra money to do so the right way not the cheap way.

Basically...you most likely have been reading about the 250 and 260 tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is the thread I was taking about:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146005&highlight=280+Metzler

Seems like a bunch of useful information regarding the subject. Toward the end of the thread....I think page 10 -12 somebody post a bunch of pics with a 280 installed on a stock rim. Somebody in the post mentions he has put a ton of miles on the 280 with no troubles.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 280 Metz fits, i have another vrod in town that put one on his stock rim with no problem along with a ton of guys from the post above. Im just waiting for my tire to wear out and thats what im planning on. Looks awesome!

·
Registered
144 Posts
hmmm...

The 280 Metz fits, i have another vrod in town that put one on his stock rim with no problem along with a ton of guys from the post above. Im just waiting for my tire to wear out and thats what im planning on. Looks awesome!
Well...bottom line is anyone can push the envelope a little and going a little more than manufacture recommendations and put a 260 on although I don't consider that a push, but a 280 is a shove. Sure it squeezes in it seems and the walls in the thread look like they are going to pop but manufactures usually test products under many circumstances over years. 2 people or even 15 who have tried that setup so far might only tell me that they still have lady luck with them. But at some point you got to admit that maybe I should listen to the engineers.

How does that set up handle with a nail in it etc? Is that the straw the tire needed to pop off or whatever? Someone test that and let me know.

Last I checked there isn't anything protecting you from pavement but if people like dancing with the devil....

Personally I'd rather pay the extra money, have better odds when rolling the dice out there. Just one mans opinion is all...lengthy as it is..:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts