Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike has just had it's first service, but it still won't rev past 7000rpm in top gear,the throttle is against the stop (about 120mph) i have asked my dealer but he says the bikes fine..(scottish dealers are not the best!)
it will rev above 7000rpm in the lower gears,i have tried leaning on the "tank" but it makes no difference,i have also tried it on a long straight road but once it reaches 7000rpm it won't rev any more,as yet i have not made any modifications to the bike
i have posted this question elsewhere on this site, before i was recommended to post it on the mechanical forum.
hopefully somebody has the answer
cheers Dougie (blairbiker)

·
Registered
883 Posts
??

blairbiker said:
my bike has just had it's first service, but it still won't rev past 7000rpm in top gear,the throttle is against the stop (about 120mph) i have asked my dealer but he says the bikes fine..(scottish dealers are not the best!)
it will rev above 7000rpm in the lower gears,i have tried leaning on the "tank" but it makes no difference,i have also tried it on a long straight road but once it reaches 7000rpm it won't go rev any more,as yet i have not made any modifications to the bike
i have posted this question elsewhere on this site, before i was recommended to post it on the machanical forum.
hopefully somebody has the answer
cheers Dougie (blairbiker)
Maybe the International Models differ? You didn't let a Britt near it did you? Try putting the problem back in General forum. Or pm Max

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Was the bike warmed up? I seem to remember reading when the motor is not warmed up it'll limit the RPM's

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
Until it is warmed up, my rev limiter will kick in at 6,500 RPMs.
After about 10 minutes of riding you can have happy cranking up to 9,500 or so.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Interesting! Let me get some facts straight. After the bike is warmed up, you can hold the throttle open and the bike will rev up until it hits the rev limiter in first, second, third and fourth. In fifth gear it stops at 7K.

If that is the case I would recommend putting it on a dyno and see what it will do.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Man-o-man I ain't got the stones for WOT in 5th!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, the bike is fully warmed up before i rev it hard,i havn't tried reving it above 7rpm in 1st or 2nd but 3rd and 4th will rev above no problem,a dyno might be worth a go if only to confirm my problem to the dealer

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just a thought, couldn´t that be because of the 30tooth on international models compared to 28 on domestic, that would explain why You don´t rev more on top gear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it might be, i didn't realize there was a differance on international models,i wonder why they did that? it would be good to hear if any other brits have the same problem

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Many people here have been able to redline in 5th with the 30T so I don't think that's the problem.

I do know that in the past on some international bikes were limited to 98 HP due to country regulations. It's possible this may be one of those and you should be able to remedy this with a ECM flash or the Race Tuner.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
mjw930 said:
Many people here have been able to redline in 5th with the 30T so I don't think that's the problem.

I do know that in the past on some international bikes were limited to 98 HP due to country regulations. It's possible this may be one of those and you should be able to remedy this with a ECM flash or the Race Tuner.
French bikes are limited to 98 HP. They do that by putting smaller diameter velocity stacks on them at the factory.

Try winding it up to 8500-9K all the way thru the gears. If you go to 9K in 4th, when you shift to 5th you should be well over 7K, right?

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
Get a dino-run ,this will give u som numbers the safe way.
You must be missing som horses,chin on the air-box must give u almost full scale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i havn't tried changing into 5th when i'm at 9k in 4th, i will give it a try the next time i'm out,still doesn't explain why if i change into 5th from say 7k it has no power

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Open the lid up, pull the filter, stick a ruler across the stacks and take a photo for us to see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok red rod, any chance you can translate that into english for me,
i'm right handed so if your suggesting taking a photo while i'm flat out it might be a bit difficult!!

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
704 872 3883 is the phone number to the dealership in statesville nc 28625 tilley harley davidson statesville nc 28625. don tilley owns this dealer he went to milwakee to help develop the v rod and owend and mantained the ahdra v rod that won 2 or 3 titles and still hold records for v rod racing tillyhd.com also will get you there this is a very reliable dealer if you call them ask to speak to shawn or brian fox(the destroyer rider for don at the present) they are service techs shawn i've been told is the best in the region

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
blairbiker said:
ok red rod, any chance you can translate that into english for me,
i'm right handed so if your suggesting taking a photo while i'm flat out it might be a bit difficult!!
Not while you are riding. Measure the velocity stacks. Are they smaller than U.S. stock?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts