Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Im new to v-rod world... i might going to buy a Night rod special this week
(been riding harley and japs for 15 years) ...

I'm having hard time to sleep because i got few stoopid questions before i make a decision.

First, ive noticed that the clutch on the night rod special is hydrolic and very hard to pull with the engine off (im guessing its the same when the engine is running).

Is it possible that the unit i tried was badly ajusted or deffect ? or all vrsc night rod special are equiped with hard pull-cluth ??

I can't imagine myself in a traffic jam, city jam, with all the red lights, stops, stop and go and stop with a clutch like that..

See that my real first concern.. Any comments would be appreciated.

The second question is Corbin bags, i found them but they seem very pricy.
I was wondering if i could just use some "throw-over bags" from my old harley

Would they fit on the Night rod, or is the rear tire gona eat my bags ?

Because my night rod special will come out Flat back with redish mags, so if i buy a corbin i was wondering what color should i get the Corbin bag painted. 1) 100% Flat black
2) Flat black on top and flat red on the sides...
3) Flat red on top, flat black on the sides.
Any though ?

Now my third question, is about long trip. I often do long trip.. more than 100-200 miles a day, sometime 300 miles.

I've noticed that on the factory Night rod special your whole body is leaned a little toward the front.
So i might gona have to move the controls further back. Actually im thinking about moving EVERYTHING further back including the pedals... thats gona cost over a grand to do the modifications.

So the question is: do you think it'll be a lot more comfy or as much as any other Harley after the changes? softail, flh, dyna...
or do you think that after the changes it'll still be sporty ride ?

The forth question is about shock... is the vrod/vrsc/night rod special mounted on rubber mount ? what exactly absorbing the shocks ? i know for certain that Harley sporters don't absorb the shock thus your hands / arms kinda hurt after a while.. Roadking, FLH will absorb the shock so how is the v-rod absorbing road bumps, vibrations and shocks ?

Lastly, the fift question. How bout city ride ? traffic jam ? tight corners ?
Is the night rod a good bike for city ride ? will it overheat in a traffic jam ?
Can i make tight turns ? or will it be confortable to handle in traffic jam ?

So to resume 5 questions:

1) Hard clutch pull on all night rod special or only on bad units ?
2) Corbin bags for night rod special worth it ?
3) How comfy is the night rod for long trip ?
4) how does your body and arms absorb the vibration ?
5) Good for city ride ?

Just state in your answer that youre a racer type or a cruiser type.. that would help me picture your personality better so i can make a decision later.

Theres an optional question, you don't have to answer..
Do you miss your old Harley ?

Thanks... feel free to answer, im not forcing anyone. it just gona help me decide quicker...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The clutch is hard to operate when new. Mine is easier with 5700 miles on it. You can also install an Aims unit which reduces clutch effort by I think 40%. Guys love them around here. Don't know about Corbin bags, I have the SAC bag for the VROD and like it. I put D handle bars on for long distance comfort, works great. Other than the handle bars it is very comfy for long trips. Body and arms absorb the vibes fine. The motor is rubber mounted and counter balanced. Great handling acceleration and stopping power, all good attributes for city driving.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
To me, the clutch isn't that bad, even in city riding. I ride a Streetrod, so i can't speak about the DX's riding comfort. My R is great for short blasts around town or long distance highway riding. I have done a few 200 mile trips on mine and with the exception of a little pain in the lower area, it was very comfy. This is nothing a new seat couldn't take care of. I would say try a Streetrod and then make a decision!

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
DX owner here - don't find the clutch an issue at all.

Can't answer the other q's I'm afraid, but the clutch lever feels ok - just like my old VFR to be honest....

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
I had a Road King before my DX so I guess that makes me a "cruiser type".

I don't think the clutch pull is harder than my Road King, but it is "different". Getting caught in a couple long traffic jams right after I got my bike resulted in some soreness, but it's no longer a problem.

I have the HD Sport saddlebags and mounting kit, but I haven't been able to make myself put them on. They're still sitting in boxes unopened. I've been wearing a backpack. I will probably end up with one or more bags from Axio. I also have a windshield sitting in the box that will probably never get put on (we'll see how this winter goes).

I was originally going to put the regular D bars on, but after several long trips I changed my mind. Although the stock bars feel like they lean way forward, if you ride without a windshield it's actually a very neutral position at highway speed...and I think it looks better. Sitting upright is nice for cruising around town, but when the speed picks up I like the aggressive, forward position.

It's nowhere near as bad as an old solid mounted Sporty. It's comparable to the Dyna line from Harley.

5) Good for city ride ?

The length of the bike takes some getting used to, depending on what you're riding now, but I can still U-Turn it in the width of a street without dragging.

I commute on mine 30 miles each way every day and ride it every weekend. I miss my Road King bags but the DX is so perfect stripped down that I just can't make myself break up it's lines with bags. That may change with time.

See my gallery for my DX and my wife's D. She put the bags and shield on for the sport-tourer look.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
CoolioBandit said:
Hey

Im new to v-rod world... i might going to buy a Night rod special this week
(been riding harley and japs for 15 years) ...

I'm having hard time to sleep because i got few stoopid questions before i make a decision.

First, ive noticed that the clutch on the night rod special is hydrolic and very hard to pull with the engine off (im guessing its the same when the engine is running).

Is it possible that the unit i tried was badly ajusted or deffect ? or all vrsc night rod special are equiped with hard pull-cluth ??

I can't imagine myself in a traffic jam, city jam, with all the red lights, stops, stop and go and stop with a clutch like that..

See that my real first concern.. Any comments would be appreciated.

The second question is Corbin bags, i found them but they seem very pricy.
I was wondering if i could just use some "throw-over bags" from my old harley

Would they fit on the Night rod, or is the rear tire gona eat my bags ?

Because my night rod special will come out Flat back with redish mags, so if i buy a corbin i was wondering what color should i get the Corbin bag painted. 1) 100% Flat black
2) Flat black on top and flat red on the sides...
3) Flat red on top, flat black on the sides.
Any though ?

Now my third question, is about long trip. I often do long trip.. more than 100-200 miles a day, sometime 300 miles.

I've noticed that on the factory Night rod special your whole body is leaned a little toward the front.
So i might gona have to move the controls further back. Actually im thinking about moving EVERYTHING further back including the pedals... thats gona cost over a grand to do the modifications.

So the question is: do you think it'll be a lot more comfy or as much as any other Harley after the changes? softail, flh, dyna...
or do you think that after the changes it'll still be sporty ride ?

The forth question is about shock... is the vrod/vrsc/night rod special mounted on rubber mount ? what exactly absorbing the shocks ? i know for certain that Harley sporters don't absorb the shock thus your hands / arms kinda hurt after a while.. Roadking, FLH will absorb the shock so how is the v-rod absorbing road bumps, vibrations and shocks ?

Lastly, the fift question. How bout city ride ? traffic jam ? tight corners ?
Is the night rod a good bike for city ride ? will it overheat in a traffic jam ?
Can i make tight turns ? or will it be confortable to handle in traffic jam ?

So to resume 5 questions:

5) Good for city ride ?

Just state in your answer that youre a racer type or a cruiser type.. that would help me picture your personality better so i can make a decision later.

Theres an optional question, you don't have to answer..
Do you miss your old Harley ?

Thanks... feel free to answer, im not forcing anyone. it just gona help me decide quicker...
OK, I will give this a go.

Everything I read prior to buying my 06 D was that the clutch pull was harder than most other bikes. After getting used to it, it has not been a problem even in Houston interstate gridlock traffic. I use those little grippers to strengthen my grip ocassionally. The clutch pull you felt in the showroom is how it is going to be riding it.

I personally would not plunk down the cash for Corbin bags, I have Cortech sport throwovers and I can take them off when I want.

When I lived in Houston, I commuted 120 miles round trip to work and I was very comfy. I have the reduced reach bars, mid pegs, windshield and highway pegs so I never was in an awkward position. You may have to make some mods to make it comfy on long trips.

I have the Kuryakyn ISO grips and they are great, I do not feel any vibration.

5) Good for city ride ?

Since the bike is a little heavy for me, my greatest challenge is slow speed tight manuevering, but I get better at it as I practice. My only complaint about the bike is it is too heavy.

I guess I am a cruiser type since I cannot fit on the sport bikes (too tall for me).

I have never regretted getting this bike and I bet you would not regret getting the DX.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.