Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Night Rod Special that suddenly started running VERY rough and backfiring. It starts right up and idles fine. But when you take off it acts like its starved for fuel. It will smooth out a bit after you ride a few miles but still doesnt run right. It doesnt have the pick up speed it use to have at highway speed and it cuts out like its running out of gas. I changed the plugs (they looked fine) and changed the throttle cables because one broke. The only other issue with the bike is that the fuel gauge stopped working several months before this problem started. Any suggestions what I can look for?

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Borrow a Fuel line pressure gauge from your local Auto parts store. It's free. You will know in a second after hooking it up if you have in-tank fuel issue.
'
There is a schrader valve, on the right side between the two velocity stacks, it hooks up to

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ditto what Rusty said. Test Fuel Pressure.
- Did it start happening right after you changed plugs? (Did you pinch a fuel line)
- Bad/Old Fuel? Loose Cap?
If pressure is good:
I'd punt and load it up with fresh High test and a big dose of SeaFoam.
Or drain it and do the same.
Let it sit a couple days maybe cleaning internal tank parts would help. ??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just went through this one..check fuel pressure with a gauge. It will tell you if you have a leak. My problems were just like yours. Turned out to be a loose fuel connector in the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts