Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some custom work on my fender. Moving license plate to side mount, shaving (filling) the taillight hole in the fender and building (or buying) an LED rear taillight/turn signal to mount in the original license plate location (along with a laser jammer head).

With the elimination of the rear turn signal stalks, I'm looking for a cover for the mount points on the plastic rear surround/license plate mount.

A lot of people have done rear turn signal relocates - what do you do with the EMPTY MOUNT POINT where the factory turn signals went on?

Regards and Happy Holidays...

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Most of us remove the entire licensce plate mount so that solves the problem :D. I have seen some people who shave that area off with a dremel tool and it looks good.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of us remove the entire licensce plate mount so that solves the problem :D. I have seen some people who shave that area off with a dremel tool and it looks good.
Having some, errr, differences of opinion with the fabrication wizard who's designing my taillight assembly (I want the laser blinder back there too). We were going to cover the entire tailpiece in smoked plexi, but the cutout for the laser blinder is making this difficult.

So...

May have to go back to the drawing board. Find it somewhat difficult to believe, with all these signal relocate kits, no one has come up with a snap-in plastic cover for the OEM mount location.

Rick

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Find it somewhat difficult to believe, with all these signal relocate kits, no one has come up with a snap-in plastic cover for the OEM mount location.

Rick
I don't know of anyone that has relocated the tags without removing the complete dogass. When I first relo'd my rear signals I installed red LEDs into the mounting points that served as additional marker lights and signals. I have since shaved the dogass so no longer have the LEDs there.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
May have to go back to the drawing board. Find it somewhat difficult to believe, with all these signal relocate kits, no one has come up with a snap-in plastic cover for the OEM mount location.

Rick
Modify (trim it) it or loose it. Why would would you go thru all this money and trouble for just aesthetic improvements and then leave that bracket hanging?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

This is the (original) game plan (photoshop mockup). All the lighting was going to be under the plexi wrap, using the dogs ass as a mounting point for the LED assemblies and blinder head (backlighitng the side reflector - yes I LIKE the side reflectors).

I'm going for a "stock but custom" look here. The problem is, that I need (or want) to mount the laser blinder head under the rear fender lip, on top of the (to be fabricated) rear taillight/turn signal assy. the original game plan, was to put a small amber cluster under the plexi, where the shaved mounts for the turn stalks are.

The inclusion of the blinder head, is presenting some design issues with the taillamp assembly, so I may actually go back to the dogs ass without the plexi wrap, and use this taillamp kit - turned upside-down with the flat part up - which bypasses the issue of sealing the to-be-fabricated custom taillamp we're designing - but eliminates the plexi wraparoung, thus leaving the turn signal stalks exposed - hence the question in this thread.

I would have thought the folks that were making the turn signal relocate kits would have had a snap-in plastic piece that covers the mount points on the dogs ass, and that someone here might know where to get them. In the alternative, if I go with plan B (the complete taillamp unit), I can mod one of these to mount in/over the holes.

Thanks for the comments...

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts