Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exhaust Problem

Hey everyone,

I installed a set of slip-ons that weren't meant exactly for my bike (2006 Night Rod with mid mount controls) and I'm having a problem. There should be a gap where the mufflers meet the mid-section of the exhaust, but my new mufflers are straight and the old had a curve downwards (see picture - the old pipes are on the left, the new ones on the right).

When I tighten up the heat shield it rests on the muffler, and I don't want that to happen. Does anyone know a way around this? A new heat shield that fits a 2006 D maybe?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Longer mounting screws and a spacer under the heat shield might get you where you want to be. When My screws kept disappearing I used stainless from Home depot with locking washers and new nuts. Size I used 10/32 as the fine threads are more resistant to shaking loose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea on the bolts and spacer...do you know of something that they sell that would work as a spacer? I'm wondering what would fit that wouldn't vibrate loose....

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
On my heat covers I used a new square nut (like the factory) 10/32 button head stainless screw with hex drive. Under the head I squeezed a #8 stainless locking washer and stainless washer. After some measuring to get the length right, put it all together and that was two years ago and still have a full set doing their job.

In your case I would use some play-doe as a temp spacer to get the location/space right. Then measure the bolt length I need. Cut the bolt to size. Remove the heat shield. Install the cut bolt and measure the gap between the underside of the bolt head and the mounting point. A stack of washers should do the job or make a spacer from a piece of copper, old cents come to mind. You might need to curve them a little, heat them up to soften so you can bend. They will be soft when cooled, don't get burnt!

To assemble use some dabs of hot glue to hold the spacers in place or super glue and put the screws in.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Longer mounting screws and a spacer under the heat shield might get you where you want to be. When My screws kept disappearing I used stainless from Home depot with locking washers and new nuts. Size I used 10/32 as the fine threads are more resistant to shaking loose.
10/32!!! Those screws are metric, not SAE, 5 or 6 mm. I keep from loosing them by dabbing a little high temperature RTV on the thread before installing them.

You probably cross threaded the crap out of yours and that is what is keeping them from falling out.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Philthy is correct the FACTORY screws are metric but the nuts are in little holders and can be replaced with what you need. I have tried the factory screws (overprice and plated steel) and they cracked the chrome or went walk-about. The factory screws are not long enough for this rabel316 project.

Note my first line said "I used a new square nut", it is now 10/32 for the fine thread.

"You probably cross threaded the crap out of yours and that is what is keeping them from falling out." Nope cause I used matching parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nigel. I'm going to give it a shot today or tomorrow. It sounds like it should work...I'll let you know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts