Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a comment at a dealership about the Night Rod being discontinued in 2009. Their response to this was “That did not take long to get out”. I explained that it has been a topic for awhile on the internet. Has anyone heard if they are still going to offer a model with mid-mounted controls? I have a 06 model and was considering buying a 08 for the improvements that have been made (anti-lock brakes being at the top of the list). I am afraid to do that now as they may come out with a mid-mounted control model that I like better. Has anyone heard if that is the case? I know it would probably just be speculation at this point but would still like to hear if anyone has heard anything.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Unknowingly absent
914 Posts
Look for the 2009's to have mid controls as an option, as on the Fat Bob. Again, Harley will probably stick it to us and charge the crap out of it.

Yea, who knows, just my own speculation.

·
Street Rodder
523 Posts
That's interesting as Harley has not yet told the media OR the dealers what the 2009 line-up is yet.

So, while it migjht be the case, I can't believe your dealer has an inside line on next year's models already.

We'll see.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
All the dealers may know is that they don't see it on their allocation sheets. That doesn't mean it will be discontinued, but rather it may be changed somewhat and have a different model designation.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Dealers received a notice a couple of weeks back advising them about what is being discontinued for 2009. There is and will be no official notice of what will replace discontinued bikes or what new bikes will be offered until the dealer meeting takes place in July. Beyond the notice about discontinuing certain models for 09, any discussion of upcoming new models will be just so much speculation until the dealer meeting takes place. The dealers get their first look at new bikes at about the same time as we can see them on the net. if someone has a real connection to a worker at one of the factories or inside info from MOCO headquarters that might be different, but then the employees are not supposed to disclose this stuff ahead of time. It probably would cost someone their very good job.

·
70's drag racer
581 Posts
I have a 08 VRSCAWA and I bought all the components for the mid pegs and shifter for a D to mount on my AWA. The parts were under $300. I didn't worry about relocating the brake as I just wanted a better tuck and baance position at the drag strip.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
This would be the most "Obvious Shot In The Foot" Hd could do to its sales of Revolution Powered Bikes. Many people Love the the "A" and DX" EXCEPT the seating position and guess what, thats pretty important thing to most people. I cannot see them ditching the Mid Controlled bikes and making them a Special order (3-5 month wait?) would be just as bad. I think maybe the are repackaging it with a new name would be all. But than again its HD, even after the idiot from Amercan Thunder put down both the Sportie line and VRSC lines of bikes they let Him into the factory to shoot the show.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens come July. Truth be told the D model is not selling as much as the DX so I am sure they will axe it just like they did around the rest of the world. Harley Davidson though wants to sell more bike and I am sure they have something new they will introduce.

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
There are a couple of big threads regarding the rumors of discontinuing the nightrod, nightrod dx, the entire vrsc line etc. Still just rumor since sales are doing well above average in Britain and Europe and with over 20K members here the line is not doing badly. As Shultz would say I know nothing, nothing, but look for a nightrod that is fully faired. Can no longer call it a nightrod I guess and this is just a rumor, do not give any credit to it. Forget you even saw this. This message does not exist.

Oh by the way water cooled units in the entire lineup of all manufacturers will be on the increase and have to be so by 2010. There is just so much you can do with an air cooled bike and meet EPA.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
NightStar said:
There are a couple of big threads regarding the rumors of discontinuing the nightrod, nightrod dx, the entire vrsc line etc. Still just rumor since sales are doing well above average in Britain and Europe and with over 20K members here the line is not doing badly. As Shultz would say I know nothing, nothing, but look for a nightrod that is fully faired. Can no longer call it a nightrod I guess and this is just a rumor, do not give any credit to it. Forget you even saw this. This message does not exist.

Oh by the way water cooled units in the entire lineup of all manufacturers will be on the increase and have to be so by 2010. There is just so much you can do with an air cooled bike and meet EPA.

First time I heard that. :hidesbeh: LOL

·
Whitedog
54 Posts
Mid control vrscdx

To Whom...

Why would you want mid controls, the frame rails rub on your right knee under the airbox enough as it is, these just make it worse?

Steve Taylor

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Steve, some people find the foot position of the mids more comfortable. Others feel more in control of the bike with the mids. I find it mroe confortable and more sporty. I can shift my weight around more using the pegs and I can use my legs to move the bike around. It's all personal preference.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Steve Taylor said:
To Whom...

Why would you want mid controls, the frame rails rub on your right knee under the airbox enough as it is, these just make it worse?

Steve Taylor
Most importantly, it gives me a choice of two riding positions. By switching from the mids to the highway pegs, I have less fatigue, and can go alot farther than I would locked into one position or the other.

·
buried alive oplin50
2,405 Posts
cause

Steve Taylor said:
To Whom...

Steve Taylor
we all have different riding styles. I come from the sportbike world and yes, even at 43 years old, I like to have my feet under me. I can absorb holes and bumps better, and i dont slouch as much.

just the way I like it.

·
TheWhoosh
455 Posts
UPSMAN said:
we all have different riding styles. I come from the sportbike world and yes, even at 43 years old, I like to have my feet under me. I can absorb holes and bumps better, and i dont slouch as much.

just the way I like it.
I'm 52 and I'm with you UPSMAN I don't mind on the freeway but in the twisties I like the balance that having mid controls give you.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Already been discontinued in the UK. Only models we have now are the AW and the DX....

·
DTH-DLR
544 Posts
I am sure the MoCo came to this site and found all the part numbers they need to make a "Mid-Control Kit" and sell it as an option after the sale. After all, you can get a forward control kit for the Sporty so why not a Mid Kit for the VRSC series.

I guess we will see in July.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Yes but what about the 180 rear? Surely they aren't going to abandon it alltogether! I guess we'll have to wait and see what they come out with in July.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts