Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm a new rider. I've completed the MSF class, got my license, and I've borrowed some bikes and rented a few from the Harley dealer. I've been thinking about getting a newer "48" or nightster as a starter bike, but I came across an '06 Night Rod in the local Craigslist for what seems to be an unbelievable deal.

1. Obviously you guys love your bikes or wouldn't be here, but is the '06 Night Rod a good choice for a newer rider? Or is it just too much power? I had thought I'd start in the sportster class, and eventually move up,.

2. How do you know if a deal is too good to be true? Is it like a car where you take it to a mechanic to look over?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
A '06 night rod with mid controls is and Excellent bike to learn on in my opinion. My 1st bike was (is) a 02 V-rod with Forwards and I was fine after the Course.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Buy it! I would!

·
The Real 13th Ghost
180 Posts
I too took the MSF course and my first bike was the current bike I own, an 08 night rod special. I think it boils down to one thing. What are you comfortable with? The bike is heavy with a good bit of power. For me I knew I would get bored with anything else first, so I jumped right over the starter bike and purchased what I wanted right away. It was the right decision for me and I haven't looked back since.

As for the night rod you are looking at, just be careful with the purchase. Look over everything for signs of misuse or leaks. Never purchase a bike or any vehicle with out taking it out for a spin first.

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
My first bike was my 03 V and i only rode a bike a hand full of time before that. Respect the bike in what it can do but do not be afraid of it. If you can do that you will not have a problem.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
It's a good bike for newer riders. It wont wheelie and dump you off and the center of gravity is low. They are a little heavy and pretty expensive to repair if dropped and the front brake can grab too hard if you're not careful at slow speeds these would be the only negative I could think of for a new rider. The throttle is smooth and predictable unlike the 87 Yamaha FZ-700 that I learned on. That bike would chunk you in a ditch if you grabbed too much throttle by accident.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Excellent bike for a new rider !!!!! If you buy a nightster or 48, after a year you'll want another bike. But with the vrod you won't have that urge so soon. The nightster and 48 are nice bikes but I would rather have one as a second bike not a primary ride. IMO

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
The First bike I rode besides the Buell Blast at the training class was a NRS. I test rode it before buying my Muscle. I think it is the perfect bike for a first timer. I have had no issues. It rides smooth has great power with not too much torque. It also handles very well.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
The V-Rod and the Nightster are roughly the same dry weight... I love Sporties, it's what I started out on but only because back in the 70's there was no V-Rod :)... I would go with the V-Rod for your first bike, respect it and it will respect you back... I don't care what your riding, it will only go as fast as you twist the wick :)... Learn the bike and what it will do and you'll be just fine...

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Go for it!! I too took the MSF course and never ridden a motorcycle (or dirt bike,atv) one time before the course. I bought an 08 vrscdx with some slight performance mods and 2800 miles for 12,500 total (after tax tags title etc) from a private seller on craigs list. Since I have never ridden before I took a well experienced rider/mechanic with me to look it over and take it out for a ride. I am the type of person that is never satisfied and always wants more so I am glad I "started" with the night rod. The last piece of advice I can give you is start saving your money for all the mods you will be doing! Lol Since joining this forum I have gotten so many ideas and have spent more $ in mods than I paid for the bike originally , but it's all worth it when your out on the road and people are staring at you in there rear view mirrors or in the lane next to you pointing at your bike and giving you the thumbs up. Ride safe brother and keep it upright it only does what you tell it to do.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
I got a '07 D and it is a perfect bike. Great thing about a D is it is easy to go from mids to forward controls should you decide you prefer to ride boots in the wind.

The '06 D have the smaller gas tank so you will have to fill-up more often than a '07+ bike. Also the '06 has the narrow frame so going to a 240 rear tire is not as easy as the '07+ bikes, but it is still easy enough. (240 rear tire looks great under the narrow fender of a D as opposed to the platypus fender of the DX.)

If you can find one the '08 D has to be the best Nightrod out there. It has the larger tank, 1250 engine, and lighter 5 spoke wheels, and if your lucky it has anti-lock breaks. I would pay a few extra $$$ on a 08 over a 06 due for these features.

Defiantly have someone look over the bike for damages. The Revo engine is fairly solid as is the transmission, so if they mechanically operate correctly then you should be fine. There are a few areas that like to collect rust, most notable is the waterpump, so I would have that opened up and checked.

If the stock exhaust is not on the bike, or the baffles have been removed (Vmoded) then make sure their is either a SERT or Powercommander style fuel management system on the bike. If it has been dynoed and the owner has the slip even better.

There is also a chrome kit for the engine on the Ds installed by the factory on some bikes. This kit added a $1,000 MSRP to the bikes, so if the engine bits do not have the same chrome look as the pipes then I would use that as an area of negotiation on the price.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Youll love the bike its a bike you can keep for a very long time, and its driving characteristics are very predictable!!!

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
I went from the MSF to riding a Kawasaki Mean Streak a week later. I look back and I am glad I set the bar high for my first bike. Remember the the V Rod does not have to be ridden at full potential all of the time, but the Nightster will have to be pushed really far to give you the same thrill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I hope to be contributing to this forum as a legitimate member soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go for it! I too bought an 06 V-rod (street rod) with the mid controls as my first bike after taking the MSF course, and never looked back. It was a bit intimidating at first, but after a few hours on her, it was second nature. Just remember to ride your own ride and do not try to keep up with others until you get to know the limitations of your bike well, as you can get in trouble quickly with this beast. After 3 years with the V, I still have no plans of upgrading to another bike. Be safe!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, I seldom, probably NEVER, have replied to a post asking about what to buy. It's a totaly personal choice, so others opinions shouldn't rally matter. It's your $$$ and your butt in the seat. And I don't intend this to bust anyones chops, so don't be offended if you see yourself in the post that follows.....
With that said, allow me to play devils advocate for a minute.....
When someone says, " buy it, you'll love it" how do they know? I had a Night Rod and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I have a 2003 V now and love it. SO how do I know if you'll like either one?
Someone else says, save your $$$, you'll spend a fortune modding it.....not me. I spend very very little mod'ing any bike.
For some guys, this is there first bike choice, but they have others in the garage as 2nd and 3rd bikes. This is my 2nd choice, I ride my Ultra the most. I've had my Ultra for 5 years. I've owned 7 other bikes in addition to the Ultra in the last 3 years.
2 FZ1's
2 Vrods ( current 2003 I love !)
1 Sportster 1200
1 Vmax
1 Katana
Loved the FZ1's, but love this Vrod even more. Liked the FZ1's better than the Night Rod I had earlier this year.
I certainly don't want to bust anybodys chops, but this is how I see it. He may love it, like it, may even hate it. He's a new rider and probably not even sure what kinda riding he will like best, twisties, flats, mountains, short bar hopping, long day trips, short day trips, etc etc.
If $$$ allowed, I'd have another FZ1 and a Triumph in the garage in addition to my current bikes.
We're all different, different tastes, likes, wants.
You have to make a decision, buy it, if you like it, ride it, if not, sell it and buy something else. Experience ids your best teacher.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Well, I seldom, probably NEVER, have replied to a post asking about what to buy. It's a totaly personal choice, so others opinions shouldn't rally matter. It's your $$$ and your butt in the seat. And I don't intend this to bust anyones chops, so don't be offended if you see yourself in the post that follows.....
With that said, allow me to play devils advocate for a minute.....
When someone says, " buy it, you'll love it" how do they know? I had a Night Rod and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I have a 2003 V now and love it. SO how do I know if you'll like either one?
Someone else says, save your $$$, you'll spend a fortune modding it.....not me. I spend very very little mod'ing any bike.
For some guys, this is there first bike choice, but they have others in the garage as 2nd and 3rd bikes. This is my 2nd choice, I ride my Ultra the most. I've had my Ultra for 5 years. I've owned 7 other bikes in addition to the Ultra in the last 3 years.
2 FZ1's
2 Vrods ( current 2003 I love !)
1 Sportster 1200
1 Vmax
1 Katana
Loved the FZ1's, but love this Vrod even more. Liked the FZ1's better than the Night Rod I had earlier this year.
I certainly don't want to bust anybodys chops, but this is how I see it. He may love it, like it, may even hate it. He's a new rider and probably not even sure what kinda riding he will like best, twisties, flats, mountains, short bar hopping, long day trips, short day trips, etc etc.
If $$$ allowed, I'd have another FZ1 and a Triumph in the garage in addition to my current bikes.
We're all different, different tastes, likes, wants.
You have to make a decision, buy it, if you like it, ride it, if not, sell it and buy something else. Experience ids your best teacher.

Well a lot of what you say is true, BUT he Asked if a certain Model would make a good 1st bike, He Didn't ask "What would a good 1st bike be".
He also mentioned that Garbage so many people tell others about "Starting Small and move up" That's crap. Yes He might buy it and hate it, that is true, but thats true with just about everything.

"So, I'm a new rider. I've completed the MSF class, got my license, and I've borrowed some bikes and rented a few from the Harley dealer. I've been thinking about getting a newer "48" or nightster as a starter bike, but I came across an '06 Night Rod in the local Craigslist for what seems to be an unbelievable deal.

1. Obviously you guys love your bikes or wouldn't be here, but is the '06 Night Rod a good choice for a newer rider? Or is it just too much power? I had thought I'd start in the sportster class, and eventually move up,.

2. How do you know if a deal is too good to be true? Is it like a car where you take it to a mechanic to look over?"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lux,
Again, I don't intend to step on anyones toes, just that some of the answers, not the OP's questions, but some of the answers are .......too opinionated.

Buy it, you'll love it !

How does that "reply'er" know the OP will love it just 'cause he does? I very much disliked my 2006 Night Rod, but love my 2003 A. The OP may be like me or may be the opposite. With the info the OP gave, we would not have enough info about him and his plans with the bike to say if the V would make a nice first bike or not. But as I said, buy it ( getting a great price he mentioned ) and if he didn't like it, seel it and buy something else. Few people buy 1 bike and keep it 5 years, at least few that I know. First time riders we're talking about here. Then again, I don't keep many cars/trucks for more than 2 years.

Not trying to start an arguement. This is why I don't respond to these posts, unless I'm bored, and I must have been bored.

Another gripe of mine when someone is selling a bike and the "reason for selling" that they list is, "it's too fast for me." Quit twisting the throttle idiot !!!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I've never believed in "starter" bikes. Test ride as many bikes as you can before you purchase anything, including the Night Rod. If you are OK with the riding position and such, go for it. Just because a bike has 200HP doesn't mean you must use all 200hp all the time.
No, I am not stating the VRSCD has 200hp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts