Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
I'm rebuilding my left fork seals because it was leaking so i don't know wish type or how much oil should i put in the fork ?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Don't do just one side. Even if you do not dismantle the other leg, drain the oil, flush and refill with fresh oil. Recommend using 15W oil, reduces the tendency to dive under braking. You are going to need close to a litre per leg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't do just one side. Even if you do not dismantle the other leg, drain the oil, flush and refill with fresh oil. Recommend using 15W oil, reduces the tendency to dive under braking. You are going to need close to a litre per leg
It's says in the manual to measure it by the tube above the spring

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It's says in the manual to measure it by the tube above the spring
No, you measure without the spring. Once you have put oil about (700ml) pump the the leg up and down to expel all the air and then with the leg vertical and the tube pushed all the way down, the oil level should be 85mm from the top of the tube. Add or remove oil to get this level. Then fit spring etc.

·
VRSC est -03
2,504 Posts
Advice by dismantling: loosen top fork nut a quarter turn, then pinch bolts.
Condition of neck bearings? This is the time for replacing...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Advice by dismantling: loosen top fork nut a quarter turn, then pinch bolts.
Condition of neck bearings? This is the time for replacing...
Thanks for the advice
The issue is the amount it's hard to estimate it it's not in the manual and some website says the right fork oil amount is different from the left fork

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Thanks for the advice
The issue is the amount it's hard to estimate it it's not in the manual and some website says the right fork oil amount is different from the left fork
The page I posted above for you is from the HD workshop manual for your type of forks. Stick to the method as stated and you will be fine. HD do not specify an actual volume. These numbers you are finding and the volumes I quoted are merely a guide so as you know how much oil roughly. The variant from one side to the other you are reading about is for the USD type forks. Ignore all this and stick to the method above.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Th
The page I posted above for you is from the HD workshop manual for your type of forks. Stick to the method as stated and you will be fine. HD do not specify an actual volume. These numbers you are finding and the volumes I quoted are merely a guide so as you know how much oil roughly. The variant from one side to the other you are reading about is for the USD type forks. Ignore all this and stick to the method above.
Thank you man really appreciate you reply to me ,so i will do that and measure it 8.5 cm =85mm ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts