Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So, my back tire had been losing psi and I thought it was the tire as it was pretty worn. I put on a new set of Commander IIs, but the leak persisted.

Tonight, I took the rear wheel off and, surprisingly the leak was by two of the spokes. I'd sprayed everywhere with soap water, and couldn't find it. I was sure it was a rim seal leak, but it wasn't.

I took a look at this:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a12293/4297504/

I've covered the areas in a thin layer of gasket maker in hopes that will fix it. Better than dropping $400 for a new rim if it works. If it doesn't, I've given myself some practice at removal/replacement of the wheel.

Here are a couple of pics showing the locations of the leaks and the sealant applied to the inside/outside of the wheel. I'll post again if it seems to be working or fails.

Attachments

·
EXCELSIOR
8,555 Posts
Having the tire off you can clearly see that these wheels are made of two identical cast halves, welded together around the center.

You obviously have some porosity in the seam weld causing leakage.

Find a local weld shop that can do aluminum welding, have them grind the weld in those areas and reweld.

With luck you'll only need to do some paint touch up.

Did you verify your leakage at the seam while the tire was pressured up? Soapy water. If so then good job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update - three weeks & hundreds of miles later and no loss of pressure at 40psi. It appears to be working. If I were to do anything differently, I'd've probably just coated the entirety of the center portion of the wheel with a thin layer of gasket maker.

rc4man - Yeah, I was actually spraying the bead area when some ran off into the middle of the wheel portion. I had initially sprayed and spent a lot of time looking for the smallest of bubbles. When it hit the spoked portion of the wheel, I didn't have to look anymore - bubbles galore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts